Convert to Polylines

bcd

Question

I'd like the current Convert to Polygons command to evolve into a more elegant Convert to Polylines.

Currently even simple curved geometry gets horribly faceted & distorted in the attempt to fit hundreds of tiny line segments to curves where a small number of arc/bezier or cubic curves would do so, smoother, simpler, more accurately & elegantly.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=11501&filename=Convert%20to%20Polylines%20request.png

8 answers to this question

YES!

I often wondered why no Convert to Polyline.

But we might still need the polygon conversion, so need both.

I think there are a few VWX functions which use polygons but not polylines (but if so, that should be altered to accept either).

Certain other software doesn't accept Bez or Cubic points (my experience with sending exported files for CNC cutting), so polygon conversion is one way to communicate.

-B

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yeah the Convert to Polygon command still needs to stay, Polyline needs to become a new option. Possibly it could just become Convert To Poly and then the user can select Polygon or Polyline, but that may add an extra click for no reason.

In any case, I see the end result cleanliness is the key point, submitting request now.

I have a suspicion that once the tools learn to accept Polylines as their source then the convert to Polygon should be handled within the Convert to Poly interface.

Eg - it could have user controllable parameters for deviation/faceting/curviness/min radii force to arc/force to line etc with live feedback on the number of control points/vertices.

We already have PolySmoothing - I could see this, the Convert to Polgon & Convert to Polyline the Polygon tool and the Polyline tool all being bundled into one terrific tool and one powerful command.

And the Bucket Fill / Inner Boundary mode of the Polygon tool would then be more logically incorporated. (it produces both polylines & polygons currently depending on whether it sees a curve or not)