Delete function in Right-Click dialog box

Markvl

Question

I'd like to see a delete function added to the choices available when an object is selected (highlighted) and I right click either away from the object on while on the object. Probably on the object. I find reaching on the keyboard for the Delete key is distracting. Most other programs have delete right along with copy, cut, paste etc.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

Doesn't "Cut" achieve essentially the same thing? Cut already appears in my right-click options.

You can add whatever menu items you want to the right-click menu by going to Tools < Workspaces < Edit Current Workspace < Menus tab, then drag and drop commands from the left into the "Object context" area on the right.

The only issue here is that "Delete" doesn't seem to even be an actual command at all... so it looks like you might be stuck with "Cut" only. If you really want Delete then I guess the wishlist item is for Delete to be an available command.

Some questions on what you really want.

1. What happens when you have multiple items selected and you right click on a single selected item and choose Delete?

2. What happens when you have multiple items selected and your right click off any item and choose Delete?

3. What happens when you have multiple items selected and you right click on a single unselected item and choose Delete?

4. What happens when you have multiple items selected on different layers and you right click off any item and choose Delete?

Probably more questions coming as I get into this more.  The Delete is the easy part. The hard part is considering all the potential other effects.

On 10/22/2014 at 6:03 AM, Markvl said:

and I right click either away from the object on while on the object.

Well, you started the thread with the above quote stating that you want to be able to right click either on the object or off the object. That needs to have two very different results. There is no way for me to know what object to delete if you click off the object. Should I do nothing? Delete the closest object? Delete all the selected objects in the active layer? Delete all the selected objects in all the layers of the same scale if the Layer Options are set to Modify Others? Delete the Layer? Delete everything in the drawing?

I know I am getting facetious with some of the above, but I would like to write this once to solve as many problems as possible. That means that if it is going to solve YOUR problem and work the way YOU want it to, you need to help me figure out what that is.

In my third paragraph, the YOUR and YOU do not necessarily mean Markvl, but anyone who is interested in this and wants to make a tool with the most appropriate behavior. Tell me what you want and I will see if I can provide it. If no-one wants to tell me what they want I have to assume it means that they don't want it very much.

I'm not trying to be pissy, but i am offering multiple hours worth of work. I don't have that time to spend on things that are not going to be useful. 

Sorry @Pat Stanford I had no idea that there really would be so much involved in removing objects.  I have no understanding of what the difference is between being on an object or away from an object once selected.

For me naturally I would select what ever it is I want to delete that is present on screen and I guess over any object selected and right click.

I'd be a little pissy too if I was putting time in like this.  Totally appreciated and not something you need to do at all.

Edited by Markvl