Move by points 3D

I think it would be easier to discern what plane VW is automatically constraining or snapping to when in an orthogonal view while moving in 3D. I've noticed particularly when dimensioning in front views that I sometimes will get a point well away from where I think I want it to grab with the new automatic plane feature with other objects available to snap to in a 3D model. Obviously, have to now remember to toggle off auto plane occasionally.

As a workaround sometimes its just easier to pop a loci on the plane you wish it to constrain to if there is no object snap point for VW to pick up on in that area.

mk,

I'll try to learn move by points working in a 3D view. Tech support tells me today that it is only intended for 2D objects. That's too bad since it is a really nice tool. I don't understand why it can't work on 3D objects in elevation views. Obviously they snap to a point somewhere in the hidden plane (backward or forward while in front view). Off to the wish list I go!

Whoa! Me, too. I use Move by Points for 3d. Lots! But I don't see that move forward/backward to the working plane problem. At least not all the time. I think I remember a few instances of it.

Bruce that must be a bad file, or there is some setting we are not noticing. I get same thing as your new file: Extruded rectangle made in top view (VW2012). It's not centered on 000. Place a 3d locus at one corner. Switch to Front view, select the extrude and move by points from an endpoint, downward past the extrude so that second click is in "empty" space. If extrude moved toward the screen plane, top view would show change relative to the locus, but locus is aligned with same corner.

Same result when moved in any flyover view. The locus is still aligned when viewed in Top.

Same if both clicks are in empty space.

Do we need an option to switch to screen plane and make the move parallel to screen?

-B