Vectorworks 2009 freezing

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I've tried full restarts as my Mac freezes completely several times a day (only) when using Vectorworks and the only way then is to restart using the power button.

When it happens the dreaded spinning beach balls appears like something from out of The Prisoner. Everything is then locked, mouse & keyboard hence the restart. I'm thinking it must be a Mac issue.

Cadplan

Have you repaired disk permissions, verified disk (HD>Utilities>Disk Utility)?

Have you Secure emptied the trash?

Do you have any other programs running while using VW (Time Machine, iTunes)?

The files that crash - were they started in a previous version of VW?

Who installed your 3GB RAM and when?

Cadplan

Have you repaired disk permissions, verified disk (HD>Utilities>Disk Utility)?

Have you Secure emptied the trash?

Do you have any other programs running while using VW (Time Machine, iTunes)?

The files that crash - were they started in a previous version of VW?

Who installed your 3GB RAM and when?

Yes I've tried the usual things that you mention like RP & VD & Secured the empty trash. I run Time Machine in the background all the time (why does it back up every hour?!), apart from that there are normally another 3 or so apps open inc Safari. The files are newly created. I installed the extra RAM about 3 years ago. The freezes started about 9 months ago maybe slightly less.

It's odd as when it freezes the whole MAC stops in it's tracks, the keyboard and mouse don't function although often I hear the processor working.

thanks, AJ

AJ

Time Machine and iTunes:

I had problems with TM - it interfered with my internet connection and eventually Mail and Safari would be "unable to connect to the internet", so I stopped using TM and the connection problem has not recurred.

Running iTunes causes VW to freeze - this may be because I'm using an ancient 12.5.3 version, but it might be something to try.

RAM: the RAM you installed may be faulty, and also I have seen some discussion over whether RAM should be equal in all slots (3GB implies you have 2 + 1).

I'm also a fan of DiskWarrior.

interesting to hear about TM problems. Do you use an external HDD to back up then? I might try switching TM off for a while as I find it annoying that you can'y stop it backing up continuously.

I don't generally have iTunes open but I'll keep a watch and also look on the Apple communities forums.

I guess it might be worth trying Disc Warrior but I think the solution could be a new Mac> I would wipe mine but as I rely on it for earning my living I will get the new one to run in tandem first then do a clean instal.

Ironically over the years Vectorworks has been ultra reliable on the various Macs I've used, now sadly it is the opposite.

I use TM in manual (OFF) mode with an external HD, so it never messes with my other operations.

Turn off Time Machine in TM prefs. It's the big switch on left side of the pref dialog. Switch it back to On if automatic backups are preferred.

To make a manual backup, connect to your backup drive/network and click the TM icon in the menu bar. In the drop/down dialog, click the Backup Now option.

Normally I just make one weekly backup. Your needs may vary.

-B

AJ

Yes, I use Retrospect, it is set up to back up at 10pm every night to a portable 500GB WD external hard drive. I should really have 2 and alternate them, so one is always off-site, they're pretty cheap these days. Maybe you could get one, download a free back up like Carbon Copy Cloner, do a full backup to the drive, and then try turning TM off. Or do as Benson suggests.

I doubt that your problems are the fault of your Mac or Vectorworks (although I think you could do with more RAM), it sounds like some sort of corruption. Find those crash logs, get the RAM modules checked, don't give up.

Edited by D Wood

thanks David,

I will try what Benson suggests as one back up every 24hrs is all I need.

The reason for the RAM size of 3GB is that this is the max that this Imac will accept, I agree that it's odd as it means having 1GB in one slot and 2GB in the other. The extra 2GB is good quality RAM, Kingston or Fujitsu as I recall. This is one more reason for me to get a new 27" iMac which I think will accept 8GB RAM.

It will cost but then it should save me time & hassle!

I agree that there is poss some sort of corruption.

AJ

Oh, sorry that wasn't clear. Here is some more info

Connect: I don't keep my external storage drive connected all the time. So I need to plug the cables btw external and the Mac. Networked storage may have some other procedure.

TM Icon: On the right side of the Finder menu bar (not the Vectorworks menu bar) there is an icon for Time Machine - clock hands inside a circle with arrow head. Activate the Finder, click the TM icon and a drop down menu appears with choices including Backup Now and Open TM Prefs. Open the prefs to see the on/off switch.

HTH

-B