Design Layer Section Viewport

VincentCuclair

Question

Don't know if this is possible, however a Design Layer Section Viewport option would be much appreciated..........or at least a way to use the Section Viewport as a background/reference in Design Layers. (yes I know it can be converted to a group and imported) however it is the interactive Viewport I'm after......

...oeps, is there a way to move this to the wishlist section....?

Edited by Vincent C

8 answers to this question

I agree! & This has been discussed before.

One of the great features of Vectorworks is the separation of design/modeling/drafting from presentation. The philosophy is: You design only once in the design layer space. This design can be used on several different sheet layers, using whatever presentation style is appropriate.

As soon as section viewports are used this system does not work any more. Usually those automatically created sections need considerable rework, which is done in viewport annotations. The problem is, this work is not reuseable.

It would be much better, if we could use design layer section viewports, and draw annotations on top of them (still in the design layer). Then reference that design layer to viewports on sheet layers as needed. This would be much more flexible.

Yes this would be great.

My idea is universal viewport object.

You can place it wherever you want - design layers or sheets.

You can use it in 2D AND 3D views. For example you could place the viewport onto any face of modeled 3d object and trace over it or directly extrude closed areas of the section.

(Microstation can do something similar with referenced files)

Yeah!

Mike, now THAT, is the most practical suggestion for this request yet.

Perhaps more than necessary, but . . . . .

Nice one

Not more than necessary, exactly what we want!

What is necessary is to do whatever is necessary when we decide it is needed.