creating a texture on the roof edges

I have found that instead of using extrude along path tool if you rotate your model in 3D (Ctrl+0) you can draw complex 2D poly's and extrude then while in the rotated view. This method of extruding 3D solids allows you to modify the length and 2D planes much easier than modifying an extrusion path.

Getting used to manipulating the model with the rotate 3D tool is tricky but when you get the hang of it making changes is quicker to the model. 3D single extrusion solids are editable in both 2D and 3D...modified extrusion require that you edit the modified groups which can be nested when you for example slice an extrusion.

Here is an image of a simple structure where I used this method of extrusion to produce the roof, siding, trim, soffiting and fascia in order to create a model of 3D objects with associated data to pull a bill of materials list.

Nice model Peter - how did you model the pan roofing?

Is that an extrude from the barge side of the roof face or the ridge/gutter?

I find that using a texture like corrugated steel gets interference patterns in perspectives, so a pan roofing profile like you have drawn would be better.

David,

Thanks...

I rotated the model to view the roof surface on edge from the gutter board to the ridge, then drew a poly to represent the standing seam roof profile panel extruded it to cover the distance of the roof plane (plus an extra 1/4" as I would do in the field to overhang the gutter board then copied each panel as it would be installed in the field.

Same thing with the rake trim. The ridge cap was done in front view as well as the horizontal soffit or gutter trim.

If a client comes along and adds 4' to the width of the structure through the ridge line I can just stretch the walls and use the 3D reshape tool to extend the roof panels back up to the new ridge height.

I played around with the rotated view, but I'm still not up to speed on how to exactly align the view with a roof face.

I know I'm a bit slow, but can you break down the steps for accurately aligning a view to a roof face.

It's a case of not really knowing what I'm looking at.