creating interior elevation from the model

Andrew Mac

I am wondering how people create interior elevations for a home. Eamaple-Take a 10' x 10' room- wanting the elevations for all four side. Do you take the the camera tool and create your int. elevations that way? do you use the crop tool when creating int. elevations? Please share how others are achieving this? Thanks

Andrew

I have used section viewports to generate interior elevations. It's a little bit cumbersome when the room is small and/or if you want to use a single elevation marker for all four walls.

I just did this for two residential bathrooms and wound up creating a "dummy" crop of my floor plan for the section cuts and then another crop for the elevation markers (see attached image.)

I'd love it if VW made an interior elevation tool that you could just drop into a room and choose which wall(s) to elevate.

Guest Wes Gardner

I have used Jonathan's method and also agree it would be cool to have an "Interior ElevationMaker" "bug" that you dropped into a room and a dialog box would allow further refining of height/depth etc. resulting in four elevations placed on a sheet layer of your choice.

What is needed is a routine which automatically determines limits:

- Top of floor object below.

- Underside of floor or ceiling object above.

- Walls to left and right.

It would need manual override capabilities to cover unusual circumstances like no bounding wall on one side' or an abnormal ceiling height.

The marker style Billtheia used would suit me.

Normally I just select the walls and items that I want to see, then set the view to either left, right, front or back. Then I convert copy to polygons and do any final editing or touch-ups in 2D. I do this for architectural woodwork shop drawings and it works well for me.

Mac B,

I'll point you to our new BIM in Practice web page, accessible through the Architect product page or selecting it from the Support pulldown menu at the top. Go to the "projects section and take a look at the Alexandria Laundry Lofts project. It contains examples of Interior Elevations created using the section viewport mechanism. Be on the lookout for more projects and more examples of more workflows in the future.