Single Face Texture Tool still does not work

MGuilfoile

Question

Bringing this up again because no one has found a solution. I am attaching a file here and some images that shows what is happening. It also has2D material regarding a question about the sweep tool. Please just ignore those objects.

The problem is this. Still this. It happens with all objects nearly all the time. This file is just an example:

When I try to place a red texture to the inside of the curved corner table it runs the texture all the way around the object, not just on a single face as it is supposed to. I am using VW2023 the latest version on Windows and VW2024 the latest version on a Macbook Pro 2019. I am on Windows10 and the horrid mess that is Sonoma on the Macbook Pro. I'm posting the images and small file here. If anyone at Vectorworks could look at it I would appreciate it. The problem is in the software, not anything user related. It has to be fixed by the Vectorworks.

MH Brown

Question, Texture Map Face does not work AFTER.JPG

Question, Texture Map Face does not work BEFORE.JPG

Question, Texture Map Face does not work WHAT I WANT.JPG

Question, broken Sweep and Single Face Texture Tools.vwx

10 answers to this question

Yup, this has been asked and answered before,

Your Extrude function seems to create Top, Bottom and SIDES, mapping, all Sides are seen as the same surface.

Convert to an generic solid to get Per Face mapping back. 

I don't have any version of VW older than VW 22 but I don't think this was the behavior in when Per Face texture mapping was introduced. I think each face of a Extrude could be mapped separately. but it appears VW has made unified (SIDES) the default behavior of extrudes.

Update and correction,:

If I create the same profile from scratch in VW 2024 it behaves as expected (Per Face texturing works)

All I can say is there is something odd happening with your Extrudes, they seem to be reverting to pre VW 21, mapping parameters.

I can understand your frustration. 

I'll play with you file a little and see if I find anything else.

This may sound silly but can you walk us through how you created this simple shape? 

It seems you experience is similar across multiple machines/versions.

But we don't get the same results wen we try it.  Or even when we copy and past your original Polyline and re-extrude

Yet I can see the problem min your file. 

Bart

Edited by BartHays
Update

In working a little bit, the problem seems to be only in files that I have opened in the previous version and resaved in the new version. In this case, I'm talking about files created in or have ANY content from a VW2022 and resaved in VW2023. Except for the tiny fraction of VW users who have started using VW in the past few months, this is an action performed by everyone using Vectorworks as his or her main CAD tool. Please do not tell me to recreate all of my templates, symbols, textures, and other similar creations by starting over every time there is a major update to VW. That is absurd. Vectorworks is designed to create templates, symbols, textures, etc. for the explicit purpose of not having to reinvent the wheel on multiple fronts.

This is, of course, only observational data, which is not terribly helpful in troubleshooting. It would serve Vectorworks very well, however, if someone from their team would take my file and find out what its problem is with legacy versions before it explodes on them. Every user opens old files in new versions of the software. Every user. Fix these little problems and the big ones might just take care of themselves.

MH Brown

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@MGuilfoile
Have you tried using the 'Reset All Plugins' command from Tools>Utilities menu?
This should address this issue.

Another option is to use the 'Batch Convert' command from the file menu, though this is normally fro converting all your library files in one go.

Both of these commands are designed to update objects and symbols in user files when a new version of Vectorworks is released.

Well, no, I haven't. I mean, why would I?

Are you saying everyone should always do these two actions when opening a file from a previous version? Is there a reason these operations are not automatically done--with, perhaps, a "warning" message that it is about to happen--whenever a file from an older version is opened? I can't think of an instance where I would not want my plug-ins and library files to function with the file I'm about to open, so you might want to rethink how this operation is invoked. 

That said, I'll give it a try. Thank you for the tip!

MH Brown

To Jcogdell, no, as I expected, the "reset all plug-ins" did nothing. The only thing that works is the following:

1. Open an Untitled document

2. Go to the extrusion (note: I have only tested this on extrusions with no "history," such as fillets)

3. Double-click on to get down to the original 2D profile

4. Copy and paste into the aforementioned Untitled document

5. Perform the same extrude as was done in the original file, but now in the Untitled file

6. The Texture Face tool now works as it should.

I believe the small VW file I uploaded to this forum exhibits the behavior. If so, that is where I would start. If not, I suppose I could contact Tech support, but I don't really have the time to troubleshoot this right now. Perhaps at a later date.

Thank you,

MGuilfoile