Resource Manager

Question

Hi 

Could someone help? I am trying to find the items in the resource manager. ie open up furniture and textures. When I go to the resource manager, i have no items to view  I have a message in help from @Andy Broomell saying 'no items to view' I saw in help some advice, and it said to change to all resource view, but where is this located? I have enabled "Enable VW Libraries" I also read in help 

'Set the Filter drop down back to All Objects 'Where is the library filter? Grateful of some direction!

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 11.51.18.png

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Tracey Andrews said:

it said to change to all resource view, but where is this located?

Screenshot2024-04-02at11_51_18.thumb.png.bf1a53509dde341bd954171dcc8702d7.png.68b9ee24da49a7e995e819eb68bd2082.png

So in the current set up you won't be seeing textures but you should be seeing furniture symbols so presumably that means the 'try it out again' file doesn't contain any. Choose the files you want to look at in the LH column. Note: you need to click on the 'V' in the top left corner in order for the VW Libraries to display in the column. At the moment they aren't enabled.

Open the folders in the left hand pane and click on the VWX files in the folders and you should see the symbols in that file.

Or just type what you are looking for in the search Baar at the top and hit return. It will show you all the items that have that search term in their name. So start with something generic like Table.

@Tracey Andrews as Tom mentioned - you need to tell the RM what to look for as well as where to look - Typically the RM looks in one place at a time - unless ...

1.thumb.png.9d6371e218ffe26f61bbe6a2463519a3.png

If you tell the RM to show Symbols, for example. Click in the right column highlighting  the top most drawing. Make sure the left side carets pointed down on each header. (Open, Favorites etcetera (as shown above)

Now use the down arrow on the keyboard and the RM will show the next drawing and the Symbols (in this example) it contains - easy way to buzz thru you Favorite Drawings.

And, as Pat Mentioned, you may ask the RM to search. Where you search is also critical in what the RM finds for you- set that first, then type a word - start simple / generic as Pat indicates

2.thumb.png.1cab772ca04fe61e6f3027b318480ffc.png

Searching everywhere is the option if you do not have a specific file in mind. (Or don't know where it is...) Search everywhere is not really everywhere - it is everywhere on the left if the RM is connected to it (assume for now, if you see it, you are searching there. 

3.thumb.png.530dd73fced3d19145250c1a9c03d439.png

The caveat with searching everywhere might be the RM finding multiple identical items and you not knowing where you have searched

4.thumb.png.03f1ed6687949b2c2b5522b1614fcb85.png

Right click on an item after the search everywhere and select the Location option

The RM will take you there. Not what you want ? History back arrow.

¿ Lost ? - The history arrows might help

Peter

Edited by Elite Exhibits
Name
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, Elite Exhibits said:

Right click on an item after the search everywhere and select the Location option

The RM will take you there. Not what you want ? History back arrow.

Or if you hover the cursor over the resource + wait a second a little pane will appear telling you the file path for where the resource lives.

• Like 1

My 2¢ on VW Videos ...

@rDesign URL video link is a good example (see above)

What I find with some VW training is a level of sugar coating that might still leave some uses in a quandary.

Example in this case: The demo file in the video is set up and complete...

(¿ with the assumption is that you look for and use items from the VW Libraries  ?).

As someone with a work flow that utilizes FAVORITE files for most all designs and edits, understanding how to start from scratch and load the Resource Manager would be an important key

Peter

• Like 2