Unable to decompose title block as a symbol in sheets

Camila85

Question

Hi,

I have edited an existing title block to customise it to suit my own company which I'm using in Sheets. However, when I duplicate the information on the right side (drawing number etc) all seems to update to every sheet when I edit one. For example when I label a drawing 101 they all become 101. I tried ungrouping one of the sheets which worked but the rest don't seem to be able to and I can get them to be labelled uniquely. In sketchup there is an option when editing a symbol "make unique" which stops it updating any of the other duplicates, however I don't know how to do this is VW. I realise ungrouping is also problematic for future projects as it's easier to copy-paste when it's all together. I've attached my file, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Rushdale CAD.vwx

3 answers to this question

There’s an option to do this in Vectorworks and that’s the Convert to Group command. However if you do that you will be missing all the functionality of Title Blocks which will easily do what you want and a huge amount more. 

Go to the help section as a start and learn how to create and use them properly. Also take a look at Vectorworks University which has some content about them. 

• Like 1

Yes, listen to @markdd

Titleblocks in Vectorworks, when properly constructed, are powerful.  Just at the fundamental level, your title block should get its Sheet Number and Title from the Sheet Layer values.  The other dynamic/linked text in a title block can report the total number of sheets, date, various bits of project information, and even per sheet issue and revision data.

…but all of that capability is lost once you break the title block into a group or something other than a title block object.

• Like 1

Another thing about the VW Title Block objects is that they allow you to link field to both Project and Sheet specific records.  Change the Project information and it changes ever title block in the file. Change the Sheet information and it only effects that specific title block.

You should be able to convert your existing title block into a VW TBB (Title Block Border) object relatively easily. Take one of your ungrouped title blocks and copy all the information and layout, Including the project and sheet data.  Paste that into the Title Block Layout window.  Then select one piece of the text blocks that is where you want a piece of dynamic data to go and elect the Use Dynamic Text option at the bottom of the OIP. From there you can set what will be displayed instead of the placeholder text you selected.

HTH

• Like 2