Rendering differences in VW2023 on Windows and VW2024 on Mac

MGuilfoile

Question

My main work computer is a Windows 10 with VW2023. Sometimes, however, I'll take a file from the Windows machine and put it on the Mac--which is running VW2024-- so I can publish it while I work on another project. I've noticed on my most recent file that the Mac VW2024 renders the images much darker than the ones rendered on the Windows VW2023 computer. I would say this is just a difference in the monitors, but I've done this quite often and this is the first time I've seen this kind of difference. Any ideas? It is a 32 page PDF, so I don't think going in and tweaking the lighting on each viewport is a solution. I'm looking for some global setting that affects what would normally be the print output in older times. Something like that. Or any other solution.

Thanks,

Mike

6 answers to this question

Maybe because of different color system or gamma output defaults on both systems.

But AFAIR I did not notice any problems between both when I did last time.

But AFAIK it were C4D Perspective Rendering only. Not sure if I ever published my

rendered Elevations from VW as a) PDF and b) in a mixed environment though.

As PDF in itself is its own error prone debacle.

Edited by zoomer
8 hours ago, MGuilfoile said:

My main work computer is a Windows 10 with VW2023. Sometimes, however, I'll take a file from the Windows machine and put it on the Mac--which is running VW2024-- so I can publish it while I work on another project. I've noticed on my most recent file that the Mac VW2024 renders the images much darker than the ones rendered on the Windows VW2023 computer. I would say this is just a difference in the monitors, but I've done this quite often and this is the first time I've seen this kind of difference. Any ideas? It is a 32 page PDF, so I don't think going in and tweaking the lighting on each viewport is a solution. I'm looking for some global setting that affects what would normally be the print output in older times. Something like that. Or any other solution.

Thanks,

Mike

When you say "renders the images much darker" do you mean that when you export to pdf, the images come out darker?

Yes, I publish the 32 Viewports, each on its own page, as a 32 page PDF document for viewing on screen (no printing involved). The same published PDF has darker images on the Mac than it does on the Windows machine. Is there a way to select the color output on either machine? 

MH Brown

52 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

Yes, I publish the 32 Viewports, each on its own page, as a 32 page PDF document for viewing on screen (no printing involved). The same published PDF has darker images on the Mac than it does on the Windows machine. Is there a way to select the color output on either machine? 

MH Brown

I find that I can end up with different colour results, depending on whether I use "publish" or use "print" and then save as PDF. (I'm a mac user) In the latter case, I think the colour management somehow gets done differently because it's handled by macos instead of VW (or something). This has caused me problems in the past. It's annoying to have to use the "print" method to get the correct colour output because of course if you want to export a whole load of sheets at the same time it takes a lot longer.

I'd be interested to see if you notice a difference doing this. It's something I've mentioned in the past but never seems to get much interest.

Edited by line-weight

As Zoomer said, this is most likely a function of the difference between how MacOS and Windows OS handle color profiles / calibration.

Have you tried to see if it matters how you created the PDF? Publish or Export to PDF vs Print -> Save As PDF ?

ColorSync is the application that manages color profiles on MacOS, I don’t know what manages it on Windows.

A google search for “pdf different color on mac vs windows” gives some results which might lead you to a solution. 

Thank you, I think I need to do a little research along the lines you all suggest, mainly color output control. Since this is a new problem after nearly two years, I must have unwittingly changed something. Thanks for the help!

MH Brown