1st year Uni Axonometric Drawing

Hey Guys this is my 4th week of Uni and I need to draw an Axonometric drawing 1:100 off my plan. The house is Bruce Goff’s “Ford House”. I am having trouble starting as I can’t find any videos online of house to draw a round house or one with a curved roof. Any advice it appreciated! I have attached my plan at a 45 degree angle and my section cut and elevation for reference.image.thumb.jpg.3a5d0a806bda6bbc45db61cfc6c7cfaf.jpg73087055344__F8818506-DACD-4F2D-B03E-41850CD80845.thumb.jpeg.6ce222e443547f1ff5ff6df96d17c539.jpeg73087056810__A5138A62-C6D8-4833-8F4A-645A7E5002EF.thumb.jpeg.da23fac60de5392c63cb8ae501943e1c.jpeg

• Like 1

You would struggle is you are building a model.  Creating an Axo is one of those peculiarly difficult things to do from a 3D model.

You can get close but it is not technically an 'axo' by using the rotate 3D view command, but otherwise the only standard views available are isometric, which TBH, I always found far more appealing than axos which we always found clunky in comparison.  Perhaps that's because my generation were more Peter Wilson, than Jim Stirling.

But @Jeff Prince is spot on! Tough assignment!

2 hours ago, shorter said:

only standard views available are isometric, which TBH, I always found far more appealing than axos which we always found clunky in comparison.

I do not really get the difference between Axo and Iso ?

https://www.archdaily.com/869688/digital-sketch-axonometric-representation/58f1077ee58ece35590001f3-digital-sketch-axonometric-representation-image?next_project=no

For me that looks like Isometrics !?

3 minutes ago, zoomer said:

For me that looks like Isometrics !?

OK, I think I got it.

(I do not like ISOs at all as they are hardly legible, at least for anything being partly quadratic)

That is why, when I was asked for an Isometric, I always drew the right example ..... (60° 30° 90°)

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/60d0dc813cda7940a0359050/0b49b9fb-7330-4b84-ba49-e38cb434ac58/Screenshot+2022-04-06+at+12.11.48.png

So, seems I am a big fan of AXOs.

1993-07-05_FHM_ENT_ATELIERHAUS_09.thumb.jpg.093d4110dc324af489ef00f2b674c1fc.jpg

It has been forty years since I drew by hand and I never drew in axonometric, but the concept is traditional.  I am assuming you have a set of Ellipse templates.

This is how I would approach it,  Assuming this building is circular from plan view, I would first "square it out".  Rebuild the building as if it was square.  Then do your Iso or Axo dwg.  Then lay in the appropriate Ellipse guides.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Autumn said:

I have attached my plan at a 45 degree angle

Having looked at this house, you might consider a different angle before committing to this drawing.

If you rotate your drawing 90 degrees counterclockwise, you will be able to reveal the inside floorplan much easier.

This reveals the building via it's window walls and open structure.  Compare this to your current layout where you will primarily see the curved roof and little of the interior without doing a cutaway.

Here's a mockup of how I would portray a building like this, but keep in mind Vectorworks doesn't do true axonometric projection, this is the isometric.

ScreenShot2024-03-04at09_05_24.thumb.png.d78ff235372f16594064857fd51b93d4.png

To lay this out by hand accurately, you would need to cut a few horizontal sections to lay ontop of your ground floor on trace.  This would give you the ability to move the horizontal sections up and trace them.  I think two would do it and you could connect the curved section of roof through the horizontal sections.  The building isn't spherical as I have depicted, it's more of an oblate spheroid as you have shown in your nicely illustrated section and elevation.  The French curve will be handy for illustrating the roofs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Me too ....

Yes, the fellow showed the hand tools.  I got thinking about this after and realized that it would still be a plausible way to do it.  You would have to create a series of pre-built Ellipses, I guess 30/60.  It has been a long time.  

I never drew anything in absolute Ortho.  I drew in perspective from the start, so I have to think in reverse for these questions.  

8 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Yes, the fellow showed the hand tools.  I got thinking about this after and realized that it would still be a plausible way to do it.  You would have to create a series of pre-built Ellipses, I guess 30/60.  It has been a long time.  

I never drew anything in absolute Ortho.  I drew in perspective from the start, so I have to think in reverse for these questions.  

Fellow?