Slab and wall line on facade

3 hours ago, Leandrovsk said:

which in real life would be covered

If in real life the wall will cover the edge of the floor structure then this is how you should model it. The wall finish component should extend downwards to cover the edge of the Slab + the Slab should be set back accordingly. Bit hard to explain further without seeing exactly what you're doing.

Right. I'll send you some pictures, I've put a (yellow) cladding on the wall, so it should go down to the front of the structure. 
But as I understand it, it's the configuration of the slab that defines how far the wall goes. How do I make it so that only this component of the wall goes down to the front of the slab?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11.25.44.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11.25.49.png

8 minutes ago, Leandrovsk said:

Right. I'll send you some pictures, I've put a (yellow) cladding on the wall, so it should go down to the front of the structure. 
But as I understand it, it's the configuration of the slab that defines how far the wall goes. How do I make it so that only this component of the wall goes down to the front of the slab?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11.25.44.png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 11.25.49.png

Edit the Wall components + add a bottom offset to the cladding component (see 'Components...' button in OIP to do it on a Wall by Wall basis or edit the Wall Style to have it affect all instances of the Wall).

Slabs can Auto-Bounded or Manual. If it is Auto-Bounded it will automatically clip the Walls based on the part of the Wall the Slab component/s are auto-bound to in the Edge Offset settings. If it is Manual, you can treat each edge separately + set offsets for each of the components one by one but then you need to do the same with the bottom (or top) offsets for the Wall components. But this way you have a lot more control.

A Slab will be auto-bounded if you create it using Picked Wall Mode or Inner Boundary Mode or you can do it retrospectively using 'Pick Boundary...' in the Bounding settings in the OIP.

It can still be a wall with a style - but you can adjust that bottom offset for that one instance of the wall style.

You do this using the "components" button in the object info panel for that particular wall object, rather than editing it in the wall style.

Do you want all instances of that wall style to have that same offset of the outer component?

( Maybe someone else can explain why editing the component offset in the wall style settings has no effect. I realise that actually I am not entirely clear how the wall style and instance settings interact. For most "styles", you can choose for each setting, whether it's determined per style or per instance. But in wall settings you aren't offered this choice. )

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, line-weight said:

It can still be a wall with a style - but you can adjust that bottom offset for that one instance of the wall style.

You do this using the "components" button in the object info panel for that particular wall object, rather than editing it in the wall style.

Do you want all instances of that wall style to have that same offset of the outer component?

Perfect! I hadn't seen that even with the name of the component in gray it could be edited, now that you said it I saw the button below! Wonderful!

Just one more question, if I edit my walls, individually, is there a way for it to go back to the original style, wiping out all those changes I made and just keeping the initial style?

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 16.07.30.png

12 minutes ago, line-weight said:

( Maybe someone else can explain why editing the component offset in the wall style settings has no effect. I realise that actually I am not entirely clear how the wall style and instance settings interact. For most "styles", you can choose for each setting, whether it's determined per style or per instance. But in wall settings you aren't offered this choice. )

I think I found out by accident here, you can't edit the style and update the wall, you have to draw it again...

13 minutes ago, Leandrovsk said:

Perfect! I hadn't seen that even with the name of the component in gray it could be edited, now that you said it I saw the button below! Wonderful!

You can see that it will let you edit the "top" and "bottom" (offset) columns, but it won't for example let you edit the thickness of the component. To do that, you have to either change it in the style, or make that wall unstyled.

17 minutes ago, Leandrovsk said:

Just one more question, if I edit my walls, individually, is there a way for it to go back to the original style, wiping out all those changes I made and just keeping the initial style?

Good question - I think the answer is no. I think you have to go and change all those offsets back to zero manually. However, I think you can bulk-select several wall objects and do this.

Ok, I've had a bit of a long day and may be missing something, but does setting those "top" and "bottom" component offsets in a wall style actually do anything? Because it looks to me like it has no effect. If it has no effect they shouldn't be there, or they should be greyed out.

2 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Ok, I've had a bit of a long day and may be missing something, but does setting those "top" and "bottom" component offsets in a wall style actually do anything? Because it looks to me like it has no effect. If it has no effect they shouldn't be there, or they should be greyed out.

It looks like it does, but you have to draw the wall again. 

39 minutes ago, line-weight said:

You need to have 'Replace heights' enabled in the Wall Replacement dialog. Walls, Slabs, etc are different to other ('true'?) styles in that the instances are replaced rather than edited directly.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Leandrovsk said:

It looks like it does, but you have to draw the wall again.

Not really.

Usually you will work with PIO Styles as much as possible.

When you change a Wall Style, all inserted Walls will follow (*).

You will want to only overwrite special Wall situations in OIP

There are just two caveats :

- when saving you Wall Style changes, there is an option to only

change Wall Heights that were not overwritten.

(One of the best VW features as it allows such special cases

without the need of Style duplicates)

I think it is activated by default - which is a good thing.

- When you graphically edited Wall Peaks by dragging. These

delta offsets will stay additional on top of Style height changes

and can be quite confusing !

(use "delete Wall peaks" to get back control)

I use Stories+Levels intensively.

So I also use Story Levels to bind my Walls heights and Wall

Components heights to Levels.

So e.g. my overall Wall is set to Wall bottom base = "top of structural Slab",

my, Wall top is "bottom of structural Slab -Story above".

Same for my structural Wall Component(s).

But my outer Insulation Package Components will use same top but bottom

will be "bottom of structural Slab".

(Inner finishes tops may start at "top of Finish Floor)

• Like 1

Also ... I was changing wall style settings, and then drawing new walls to see if they took on the new properties, which they didn't.

But the reason this was happening is that instead of drawing a new wall with the wall tool, I was right-clicking on an existing one and choosing "create similar object" and making the assumption that it would create a new wall in the chosen style rather than one with all the instance-specific settings.

• Like 1