Riser for stage design

Hello, Vectorworks forum community,

I'm facing some challenges in using Vectorworks 3D modelling. It's likely because I'm coming from a mindset of using other software, and I may be applying the tools or workflow incorrectly.

I'd like to ask for help in constructing a riser for a stage.

image.png.934138bdca4131974dcf95747b5fff8b.png

I've created two polygons using the "2D Polygon" tool, and the rectangle with rectangle tool.
Initially, I drew these shapes with lines and then used the "2D Polygon" tool.

My first question is:

Is there a way to convert closed lines into polygons? I tried using "Convert to Polygon," but it didn't work.

Second Question:

Also, I'd like to know how to join these three polygons to then perform an "Extrude" and create a three-dimensional structure?
The polygons represent a rectangle, two triangles and a custom polygon.

Third Question:

Another challenge is to perform an "Extrude" in a ramp shape on one of the parts.

How can I achieve this incline, considering the "Extrude" tool only has one measurement?
image.png.9c947dcc5faadecfcbf05cb2ce8f6f14.png

I appreciate your help and guidance in advance.

Best regards, 
Cristiano

2 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Third Question:

Another challenge is to perform an "Extrude" in a ramp shape on one of the parts.

How can I achieve this incline, considering the "Extrude" tool only has one measurement?

This is not as trivial as it first appears, because the true slope of the ramp is not perpendicular to the end profiles. The easiest way is in a Front View :

• Draw a rectangle for the u/s cross section and another for the d/s cross section offset by the correct distance
  • Select both, Model>Multiple Extrude by the perpendicular distance between them both.

image.png.10157f761f3534f2fe47d46b2eb05fdc.png

image.png.119024814f1add49ac8bc6314ff0be97.png

Edited by bcd
  • Like 3

This project reminds me of "Zee Old Days".  Another way if you have not already finalized your plans, is create a cube , then "convert to mesh".  Then you can simply marquee individual or multiple points with the arrow cursor and move them manually or with the move command. They will also rotate, but not scale.

I still use Multiple Extrude and this method occasionally.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your help

11 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

You can use the Compose command under Modify to turn lines into polygons.  

Add Surface also under the Modify menu will combine your polygons.

Perfect help

11 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Once you extrude, use the cut tool or subtract solids to create a ramp

Can you explain better how you use the "Cut Tool" and "subtract solids" in this case?
Appreciate 

11 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Or use the Taper Face Tool

This work for me thank you @Tom W.

However, the only hanging point for this is that:

image.thumb.png.b989d59539da1d92c0d3b636d68a6b0a.png

The ramp was built on all surfaces (blue line)
How can I do it just for the (green line)
image.thumb.png.a40a6bedaa60af228a57542217a84975.png

(Sorry for the quality but to take a screenshot I need to press "Command" and Vectorworks change the tool)

10 hours ago, bcd said:

This is not as trivial as it first appears, because the true slope of the ramp is not perpendicular to the end profiles. The easiest way is in a Front View :

• Draw a rectangle for the u/s cross section and another for the d/s cross section offset by the correct distance
  • Select both, Model>Multiple Extrude by the perpendicular distance between them both.

I tried to replicate your method but I  didn't have success.

Will the lowest and highest rectangles be the beginning and end of the ramp with the distance I want in the middle?

Edited by Cristiano Alves

Sorry for de double post, I still haven't solved the previous problem but I continued to develop the project.

But another ramp and the "Taper Face Tool" didn't work in this case.
Eu preciso de criar uma rampa com a forma do poligono branco desde o rectangulo cinza ate à plataforma superior (à direita na imagem).
Tentei os vossos conselhos mas infelizmente não funcionaram aqui.

image.thumb.png.c120b5a1ced960a48c093af2f1509436.png

Basically something like what is represented by these green lines:
image.thumb.png.ef703eebb9870ab3aa9184336ebeea7f.png

Edited by Cristiano Alves

Hi, 

For taper to work only on the catwalks from the stage and not on the downstage left to right connector, you will need to break your thrust apart into three piece: the left catwalk, the right catwalk and the downstage connector. The level downstage connector part is just a simple extrude. The catwalks are extruded to the highest height (to match the mainstage) and then taper down to the front thrust connector height. Since it is symmetrical, you can just build one catwalk and mirror it over centerline for the other side. You can keep the thrust as three objects, group them together if you like, or select all parts and run the Add solids command to fuse them together. I usually break my geometry at any height change, ramp, or slope change, much like the staging company will. 

Will the lowest and highest rectangles be the beginning and end of the ramp with the distance I want in the middle?

Yes, that is correct. You draw each endcap and run multiple extrude and the extrude height in this case is the length of the catwalk. 

For the second ramp you want (the double green lines) - You could extrude the rectangle to its full height and again use taper face to slope it, or, even easier, just go into a side view and draw the triangle of its profile and extrude that to the width of your ramp. 

Hope that helps some. Takes a bit to get used to it, but you're doing great. Keep going!

• Like 2

Hi Christiano,

There are a set of tools that have a logical progression, but unfortunately you are thrust into learning all of them at once.  It would be better if you would take a few minutes and just watch the online tutorials on "Add, Subtract Solids", the "Cut Tool" and Fillet/Chamfer from the 3D tool palette.

All of your problems would go away and life would be wonderful.

I have created a short video showing what you asked and also the new "Offset Edge" tool if you have 2024.  Not required, add solids will serve as well.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2024 at 4:10 AM, EAlexander said:

Hi, 

For taper to work only on the catwalks from the stage and not on the downstage left to right connector, you will need to break your thrust apart into three piece: the left catwalk, the right catwalk and the downstage connector.

(...)

Hope that helps some. Takes a bit to get used to it, but you're doing great. Keep going!

Thank you very much, @EAlexander, for confirming my suspicion.
It seems I will indeed have to split the structures.
I believe the Split Tool (suggested by @VIRTUALENVIRONS) is the ideal solution for separating a solid that has been created as a single entity. Is that correct?

On 2/2/2024 at 1:12 PM, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Hi Christiano,

There are a set of tools that have a logical progression, but unfortunately you are thrust into learning all of them at once.  It would be better if you would take a few minutes and just watch the online tutorials on "Add, Subtract Solids", the "Cut Tool" and Fillet/Chamfer from the 3D tool palette.

All of your problems would go away and life would be wonderful.

I have created a short video showing what you asked and also the new "Offset Edge" tool if you have 2024.  Not required, add solids will serve as well.

THANK YOU for the video that you make @VIRTUALENVIRONS

About the tutorials: Could you clarify if you are referring to the videos from the University or to some other tutorial available on YouTube? I will try to find this content to gather more information.

I appreciate your help and guidance in advance.

Here's a way of doing  it without having to split the solid.

One of the things I like about the "taper face" tool is that it lets you set a sloped surface where the direction of fall is perpendicular to the edge at the top or bottom - this can be very useful for situations like this where otherwise you might need to fiddle around with working planes or orthogonal views and so on.

Edited by line-weight
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Could you clarify if you are referring to the videos from the University or to some other tutorial available on YouTube?

There are many tutorials from either Vectorworks or individuals who have a third party interest.  Just Google "Add Solids Vectorworks" or "Cut tool Vectorworks" and there will be many to choose from, normally all good. 

But, there is no better way than just experimentation.  Use the tools, push the buttons and see what they do. 

Good Luck.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

There are many tutorials from either Vectorworks or individuals who have a third party interest.  Just Google "Add Solids Vectorworks" or "Cut tool Vectorworks" and there will be many to choose from, normally all good. 

But, there is no better way than just experimentation.  Use the tools, push the buttons and see what they do. 

Good Luck.

Sure, thank you!

Add Solids and Subtract is really helpful!