VW Versions

Hello all,  I thought I heard some time ago that VW was getting away from versions.  Not sure how that would happen but I am currently going to be taking on a big project with another firm as the "heavy lifter".  Currently I'm running VW2024 to take advantage of the (see below) the other firm is not really a VW power user so we are at this road block of what version to use over the next year.

So I guess it is really my problem but the whole version schema needs to go.  

Screenshot2023-12-21at7_50_22AM.thumb.png.7f49b9c8d342db93ee4d95eb70157ab9.png

Screenshot2023-12-21at7_47_45AM.thumb.png.43c97cedf73f6254a13a2744029f39c3.png

If you're both on 2024 - use that.  If 2025 comes out while you are still working on the project - keep the project on 2024.  You can download multiple versions and use whatever you like, so you could get 2025 when it launches, but still keep using 2024 for this project until completion.

How can delivered software advance without new versions?  My office stays a year behind since there are historically lots of bugs an issue at release time.  It's getting better, but not bulletproof, so we appreciate the option to test the latest version and wait for some service packs before putting it into production.  Onshape and Fusion 360 are a different animal.

• Like 1

@EAlexander Thanks, anyone have a comment about the "no more versions for VW" or did I imagine that?

Also, my above comment about the other firm not being a power user of VW was not clear. 

I'm running VW2024 and they are running VW2023.  Granted not a big leap but the improvements in speed to the rendering of sections are not something to ignore. 

Edited by digitalcarbon
19 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

anyone have a comment about the "no more versions for VW" or did I imagine that?

There was discussion on the forum soon after the move to subscription was announced suggesting that the annual release cycle would become redundant + new tools/features would instead be rolled out as soon as they were ready but this wasn't quite what happened. In the event I think it was more a question of reducing the emphasis on the new release each year rather than it being removed completely.

If you are using VW2024 + not experiencing any issues then fine, that is the version you should use, but there are certain things which aren't working yet + for me at least this is preventing me moving over to it completely, despite my enthusiasm for the new features/functionality. I think it just depends on your workflow + whether you're affected by the specific issues or not.

• 2 weeks later...

So the small firm tried to install VW2024. A few things developed.

1. They needed to upgrade the office to the latest OS. 

2. There computers are not on the min requirements list (something with the graphics card)

So there ability to start this week with our collaboration is now being spent picking up the pieces. 

Big headache.  I guess it's my problem since I did the recommendation for the upgrade.

The whole versions paradigm is way past its expiration date. 

3 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

They needed to upgrade the office to the latest OS. 

I am running Vw2024 on a 7 year old MacBook Pro, and not on the latest OS.
For what it’s worth — you do not have to upgrade to the latest OS to run Vw2024.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1