Cut and Fill calculation bug?

Adam Jones

Hi All,

First time post. I'm new to vectorworks 2024 and i'm trying to calculate cut and fill volumes for a site that i'm working on.

The problem im having is that it doesnt show anything other than zero values. Ive tried using existing models from others, and tried a very simple model from scratch - with no dice. 

Wondering if anyone can help me understand why it doesnt work. You can see in the model below ive modelled a simple site, and added a site modifier (planar pad) 

I cant for the life of me get the cut volume or fill volume to show up. The modifier and the site are on the same layer. The site settings is set to use modofyers from all layers.

What am i doing wrong? (ive tried with others models as well as my own)

Thanks!

Version: Vectorworks 2024

Screenshot2023-10-15at2_30_40PM.thumb.png.66b62b231a560644bf319b3cf4e922f6.png

Vectorworks Cut Fill Issue.vwx

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, this appears to still be unresolved on VW2024. I attempted to update VW2024 but updater wasnt working, so uninstalled and reinstalled most recent version. 

I am able to get accurate results in VW2023 but still "0" in VW2024, with no 3d cut fill display. Please resolve this!!

Hi all,

I am running Vwx 2024 3.1, and cut and fill volumes are working, but there's still something odd going on I think - when I view 3D as cut and fill the location of the model appears to jump to 0 elevation ( I think!). If I view as 'proposed only' or 'existing only' the model sits where the yellow outline is indicating, but when I view as cut + fill, it jumps to 0 and I have to zoom extents to find it.

image.png.b423c7ad218c89d45ac403ecca827ce8.png

7 hours ago, Amanda McDermott said:

Hi all,

I am running Vwx 2024 3.1, and cut and fill volumes are working, but there's still something odd going on I think - when I view 3D as cut and fill the location of the model appears to jump to 0 elevation ( I think!). If I view as 'proposed only' or 'existing only' the model sits where the yellow outline is indicating, but when I view as cut + fill, it jumps to 0 and I have to zoom extents to find it.

That's the "normal" behavior.  Since you asked VWX to display the cut/fill volume, the easiest way to display that is to build up from a flat plane as compared to somehow showing it on your existing/proposed model.  It places that volume at the Layer Elevation of the site model, typically z=0.  This can be problematic when working near sea level (occupies the same space as the site model)  or at alpine elevations (too far from site model).  Perhaps VWX could add a user selected insertion elevation for the Cut/Fill volume to alleviate the issue.

16 hours ago, inhabitats said:

Hi, this appears to still be unresolved on VW2024. I attempted to update VW2024 but updater wasnt working, so uninstalled and reinstalled most recent version. 

I am able to get accurate results in VW2023 but still "0" in VW2024, with no 3d cut fill display. Please resolve this!!

It's working in 2024 update 3.1, both volume calcs and 3D display of cut/fill volumes.

Edited by Jeff Prince
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue and volumes will not show in 2024. I was able to downsave my file to 2023 to see the volumes (file was originally created in on older version, 2022, I've been working on the project for a while). 

Any solutions to the issue yet?