Create Parts, Assemble a Product (3D Models)

Hello guys,
I was migrating to Vectorworks, and I was still trying to understand the different workflows to make some things on Vectorworks that I did on my other software.

I used to have a workflow for developing products in 3D: I used to draw the different parts in 3D, and then I used to assemble the product with all the parts.

For example:
If I wanted to build a remote-controlled car.
I used to draw the chassis (3D model -> 1)
I used to draw the wheels (3D model -> 2)
I used to draw the doors (3D model -> 3)
I used to draw the hood (3D model -> 4)

Finally, I used to create a final project and assemble all these parts. (3D Model -> 5)

This was to allow me to change the design of some parts, and then the final assembled product used to receive updates that were carried out on the different 3D parts.
I used to try to replicate this workflow in Vectorworks; however, I realized that it probably should work differently.

Could anyone explain to me what the best process would be to develop a "3D product"?

19 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Could anyone explain to me what the best process would be to develop a "3D product"?

What were you using before you switched to Vectorworks?

Vectorworks is a much different program than what you are probably use to. Many of the 3D processes are automated, walls, roofs, Site model, etc. 

Workflow

The workflow would be the same as you described.  Actually what you described is one of Vectorworks strengths.  The problem you will encounter is the same as any other program and that is the learning curve. 

The 3D modules

At first glance there appear to be three different 3D modules, the regular 3D tools, the 3D tool palette and the 3D power pack, but consider them one tool set that work together.  You should also consider the 2D tools as part of the process, not just primitives, but tools like Duplicate along a path.

Online Help

There is much online help, Youtube, but people on the Forum will offer great assistance.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Hello guys,
I was migrating to Vectorworks, and I was still trying to understand the different workflows to make some things on Vectorworks that I did on my other software.

I used to have a workflow for developing products in 3D: I used to draw the different parts in 3D, and then I used to assemble the product with all the parts.

For example:
If I wanted to build a remote-controlled car.
I used to draw the chassis (3D model -> 1)
I used to draw the wheels (3D model -> 2)
I used to draw the doors (3D model -> 3)
I used to draw the hood (3D model -> 4)

Finally, I used to create a final project and assemble all these parts. (3D Model -> 5)

This was to allow me to change the design of some parts, and then the final assembled product used to receive updates that were carried out on the different 3D parts.
I used to try to replicate this workflow in Vectorworks; however, I realized that it probably should work differently.

I would suggest you try making the different models as separate symbols then combining them into a single overall symbol. This is especially relevant when it comes to repeating elements like the wheels because 1) it will make the model lighter if each object is referenced from a single definition + 2) if you need to change something you only need to edit the source object + all four instances will be updated automatically. But even where there aren't repeating elements this can still be a useful way to proceed, just in terms of being able to edit the different parts separately or add separate records to them if you need to.

• Like 1

In addition to what @Tom W. says above, I would take a hard look at using Referenced files and symbols, especially for standard components.

I do pumps and piping and I have library files that I reference in for the pipe fittings. The benefit of this is that if there needs to be a change to a part it only has to be done in one location and will update in all your drawings.  The down side is that if you make a change in the referenced file it will update in ALL of the files that reference that file. So you need to be careful when you are working with parts about if the changes are specific to one file or should be applied to all files.

Depending on how complex your model are, you may want to do subassemblies in separate files and then reference them as either symbols or design layer viewports into a final drawing file. If you don't do this, then I agree with Tom that Symbols (and groups) are your friend to keep related parts together and make it easier to move them together.

For my models with maybe a few hundred descrete parts I have been able to get by with a single file (ignoring my referenced pipe fittings) with a judicious number of layers. One for the frame, one for the major equipment, one for piping, one for instrumentation, etc.

But compared to other cad systems that are specifically designed for product design (Solidworks, Inventor, etc) VW does not have the same types of tools for creating "assemblies" and combining them into "products"

If you can post some images of the types of things you need to do we may be able to offer better suggestions.

• Like 3
On 10/8/2023 at 5:08 PM, Tom W. said:

I would suggest you try making the different models as separate symbols then combining them into a single overall symbol. This is especially relevant when it comes to repeating elements like the wheels because 1) it will make the model lighter if each object is referenced from a single definition + 2) if you need to change something you only need to edit the source object + all four instances will be updated automatically. But even where there aren't repeating elements this can still be a useful way to proceed, just in terms of being able to edit the different parts separately or add separate records to them if you need to.

This is exactly what I would like to learn.
Where can I understand how to "create symbols", in my own library, what is the best workflow to make it?

On 10/8/2023 at 5:47 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If you can post some images of the types of things you need to do we may be able to offer better suggestions.

I will take some screenshots

Edited by Cristiano Alves
3 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Hi Cristiano,

Before you make symbols, you need to create the parts of your car so you can make a symbol..  Have you been able to make a car part yet?

I just give a car example.
In my case, I have some live events equipment to build.

For example, at this moment I have a VW project Table.vwx
How do I insert this inside for another Project?

Or

How do I transform this table into a symbol?

Or
How do I make my own library?

image.thumb.png.56a6959e63b2714b8b0c7aedf4a86b0e.png

Edited by Cristiano Alves

It looks like you just need to go online  on Youtube and search these questions.  There will be many videos by either VW's or third party explaining symbols, etc.

I am not a big user of Symbols or Libraries.  I build each part as I need it.  Tom or Pat are experts in these areas and perhaps they can give you help you need.

Best of luck

• Like 1