Repeating image texture; How to get a running bond or staggered joints?

The texture shown on the wall in this screen shot is made from a JPEG image of one siding panel (18" x 10'). The image repeats in a stacked fashion as shown. How do I get a running bond or get the vertical joints to be staggered? Can I use this image of one panel, or do I need to make a new image that includes multiple rows and panels that are staggered? 

Thanks,

Ed

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 4.26.35 PM.png

2 hours ago, Ed Wachter said:

The texture shown on the wall in this screen shot is made from a JPEG image of one siding panel (18" x 10'). The image repeats in a stacked fashion as shown. How do I get a running bond or get the vertical joints to be staggered? Can I use this image of one panel, or do I need to make a new image that includes multiple rows and panels that are staggered? 

Thanks,

Ed

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 4.26.35 PM.png

the builtin brick shaded allows you to do all that if you don’t want to make a large seamless texture.

• Like 1

Could create a new texture in vwx, top view.

• Draw a rectangle to scale with panel aspect.
  • Apply the existing texture. Scale/position to fit the rectangle.
  • Duplicate the rectangle a few times and arrange the dupes in two rows of running bond pattern. Might want to elevate the line weight. 
  • Render bitmap, Marquee mode. Capture portion of the two rows containing, eg half and full panel in upper row plus corresponding full and half panel below. Marquee should snap to the corners, or add  loci or other guide objects. Assign plenty of resolution. 
  • Create a new texture from this image of staggered panels. During creation assign scale of 15’.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Seeing stars

OK. There's two votes for creating a new image that includes multiple panels and @Jeff Prince suggesting that the built-in brick shaders can create a staggered pattern using the image of a single panel. I will try the brick shader controls first; I'm guessing that any new image that contains a half panel will show an unwanted seam line where the half panel repeats.

I'll post another message after I explore this further. 

Thanks,

Ed

@Jeff Prince I think I misunderstood your comment about using the brick shaders. I thought you meant that I could keep using the same image but use the various shaders to get that image to repeat in a running bond. But it appears that I must either choose my image, or go down a completely different path of using the shaders to recreate the look of my image. Is that correct? Let me know if I'm missing something. My current thinking is that it's easier to make a new image that includes two courses of this particular siding product, with one course staggered. Since the manufacturer has provided a nice image, it seems easier to get that look by using that image. 

Thanks all.

Ed

1 hour ago, Ed Wachter said:

@Jeff Prince I think I misunderstood your comment about using the brick shaders. I thought you meant that I could keep using the same image but use the various shaders to get that image to repeat in a running bond. But it appears that I must either choose my image, or go down a completely different path of using the shaders to recreate the look of my image. Is that correct? Let me know if I'm missing something. My current thinking is that it's easier to make a new image that includes two courses of this particular siding product, with one course staggered. Since the manufacturer has provided a nice image, it seems easier to get that look by using that image. 

Thanks all.

Ed

Post the image you want to use for the texture.  I can take a look at it in a few hours when I get to a computer.  Worst case, I can probably make a seamless texture with Affinity Photo

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeff Prince said:

Post the image you want to use for the texture.  I can take a look at it in a few hours when I get to a computer.  Worst case, I can probably make a seamless texture with Affinity Photo

Thanks @Jeff Prince. Let's wait for now. I don't yet need a new texture. I've been expecting the project designer to ask for another option, but so far the designer and the client are happy with the panels stacked. If we do end up needing a staggered version, I can make a new image, or get help from co-workers with have more Photoshop experience. For now, I just wanted to know whether I would create a new image or start from scratch with the brick shaders. I expect a new image to be easy. The Shaders however look like a time-consuming process of trial and error. In cases like this, where we know what siding product we want, and the manufacturer provides a good image, I think it's easiest to start with their image.

Thanks,

Ed