Using "Base Plates" with papes and truss's

I'm composing this post to gain insight into the proper approach for designing totems in Vectorworks.
Such as how to effectively utilize lighting totems, whether they involve tubes or trusses.

With a Pipe:

É suposto eu, selecionar a Base Plate no "Resource Manager", e usar a ferramenta 
Am I supposed to select a "base plate" on "Resource Manager", and use the tool "Riggignt->Lighting Pipe" to draw a pipe on the base plate?

With truss:
How can I connect a truss on the base plate?

Thank you so much

image.png.8c7494e741ca700b82b5675a937e2738.pngimage.png.dc7d224ee059472adcb09f7c3bf3e8c6.pngimage.png.735a1acd56e85374e1aed6339fec8315.pngimage.png.4e4671426992b90bb02ed9f26670b35e.png

Because I nearly always take schematic Views from Booms such as the ones in the image above, I attach all my rigging hardware apart from clamps as Point Loads. These include Boom bases, Side Arms, Hanging points, and anything that will constitute a finished boom.

I have a "boom kit" resource folder with pre-made point load plug-in objects that attach to booms and that will automatically show up in Schematic Views.

I discuss this approach at the end of this webinar I did during lockdown and you can find it here.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4
On 9/20/2023 at 1:33 PM, markdd said:

Because I nearly always take schematic Views from Booms such as the ones in the image above, I attach all my rigging hardware apart from clamps as Point Loads. These include Boom bases, Side Arms, Hanging points, and anything that will constitute a finished boom.

Hi Mark; i just reread your note, and i remember your excellent webinar. but i don't remember how you attached all your rigging hardware apart from clamps as "point loads." what is a point load? how do i select a piece of rigging hardware and assign it to a "point load" category? thanks in advance, Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Point Loads and Distributed Loads are both added to the drawing using the Rigging Loads Tool. You can add a Symbol to a Point Load, and if the Symbol has a 2D Hybrid component, then it will show up on a Schematic View.

When I have created a Point Load with a symbol such as a Boom Arm, or a Boom base, then I save the finished item as a Red Plug-in Symbol. I have a specific Boom Kit favorites folder full of Point Loads for this purpose.

When I double-click on the Red symbol listing in the RM, the Rigging Load tool is activated and I can then attach the item to a boom (or any other rigging item I like in a similar way to adding Lighting Devices) and the load will be added to the Rigging object and it will be part of the Rigging System.

@Scott C. Parker

That is essentially my workflow. It is also something that I would very much like Vectorworks to develop into a new tool that would bridge this gap between Lighting Devices and Rigging Positions. Ideally, I would like something that combines the functionality of the Lighting Device and a Point Load into one new object that can respond to changes made to Rigging Positions and Rigging Loads such as Lights, Speakers etc.

Hope that answers your question....

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, markdd said:

That is essentially my workflow. It is also something that I would very much like Vectorworks to develop into a new tool that would bridge this gap between Lighting Devices and Rigging Positions. Ideally, I would like something that combines the functionality of the Lighting Device and a Point Load into one new object that can respond to changes made to Rigging Positions and Rigging Loads such as Lights, Speakers etc.

another tool? Why on earth?

I think rigging objects and hanging positions need to be combined. Gear needs weights and that should be included in the gear; lighting devices, speakers, screens, etc. Simplify.

@Kevin Allen

Lighting Devices, Speakers, Video screens, etc. have to connect to Rigging Objects such as Truss or Hanging Positions somehow. Most connect using a Boom arm, bracket, or whatever is needed at the time. Some of this equipment is generic and some is highly specific depending on the object that is being attached.

My use of Point Loads enables me to bridge that gap a little between the rigging object (Truss or Boom) and the Load (in my case a Lighting Device) but Point Loads are not versatile enough, especially given the multiple ways that users now want to display these 3D objects in their drawings.

I see so many users trying to invent workarounds for this kind of thing because their expectations have started to overtake the software that they are using. Because so much detail can now be shown in renderings and sections, users now want their plots to be more and more realistic. This includes the rigging hardware. Not so long ago lighting designers never felt the need to show this kind of gear on the plot, but now, because of the advances in the Vectorworks software and the need for users to previsualize more and more, rigging items such as boom arms, brackets and the like now need to be shown. This means that we need to have a way of manipulating these items in 3D as well as reporting correct 2D geometry in Top/Plan and in Schematic Views. All this as well as the ability to pass the relevant load data to whatever part of the software that needs to see it. 

If a really great way can be found to engineer this functionality into existing objects, then fantastic, but I suspect that it may not be versatile enough for some of the users I have worked with over the last few years. 

Edited by markdd
  • Like 1