A one-liner View Bar in VW2024?

Kaare Baekgaard

Question

After removing all the unused stuff from the view bar, I now have a huge empty gray bar over my drawing area, that somehow still needs to be divided over three lines on top of each other – plus the menu items, where most of the stuff is repeated, but apparently it is now 'old fashioned'. Customizable indeed. The attached illustration are the items, that I need plus a few, that I cannot avoid.

Could I have them in a single line, please?

I tried the autohide feature, but it does not work in real life. Every time I reach for the bottom line - which does not auto-hide - I inadvertently trigger the auto-reveal of the middle line, which then covers the bottom line. This seems to be designed by someone, who does not draw for a living. Could they both autohide? Or could you expand from the top, so that one does not cover the other?

Now, under the bottom of the drawing area, there is still a long grey bar, that used to harbour the snaps. Now it is almost empty save for some irelevant X- & Y coordinate information - but the bar is still there in all its glorious emptiness, taking up precious space. I kinda liked the snaps in the bottom bar, but I suppose now they are customizable.

I think all of this needs a slight rework.

Sorry for the rant, I am sure there is going to be a lot of exciting new features as well.

ViewBarII.thumb.png.24eff8b021889204c0e351855a5447e8.png

Edited by Kaare Baekgaard
spelling
  • Like 2

4 answers to this question

My first impression was also that I have lost some drawing space - but in compact mode, it basically takes up the same amount of space as in VW2023 and seems OK to me.

It might be nice to be able to condense it further to one line though.

I've tried the Autohide option and it works OK for me - it doesn't trigger unless I go above the "bottom" line and into the space that's the application window header (ie with test.vwx written on it in your screenshot). However, it may be that some real-life use reveals that inadvertent triggers are more of a problem than it first appears.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, Kaare Baekgaard said:

I kinda liked the snaps in the bottom bar, but I suppose now they are customizable.

If you turn them off in the View Bar they show up on the bottom.  The bottom bar also includes tool tips - not ideal in terms of eye movement back and forth from the tool palette, but the space is being used.

Edited by E|FA
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, E|FA said:

If you turn them off in the View Bar they show up on the bottom.  The bottom bar also includes tool tips - not ideal in terms of eye movement back and forth from the tool palette, but the space is being used.

I have never gotten comfortable with the snaps all the way bottom right, and after a minute the new position makes so much sense to me.

• Like 2

I was used from Microstation to have them at the Bottom.

So I had no problem with VW 2023 putting them bottom right.

At least in my custom Workspace I usually had Snapping Palette

docked bottom left

(I think I prefer right though. Reading from left to right, right is

a bit less prioritized for such a secondary used palette)

OK, in Bricscad I have it even top left.

But what is important to me is that snaps are all time available

and always at the same place.

So I initially was happy for the option at the (VW 2023) bottom right.

(And it does not waste other Space between coordinate output here)

But as the top palette (two lines stack) gets even emptier and wasting

Space, I may bring snaps up again, just to fill in something.

• Like 2