How to add models in the official library?

vino.wu

Hi!

We are LED screen supplier -ROE VISUAL.

We currently have a large number of customers using Vectorworks software. and we found that the official model library in Vectorworks already contains some of our product models, but it seems that these models have not been updated for a while.

We want to know if there is some way for us to upload the model of our new product to the official model library?

This will greatly facilitate our customers to use Vectorkworks.

We look forward to your reply.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, vino.wu said:

Hi!

We currently have a large number of customers using Vectorworks software. and we found that the official model library in Vectorworks already contains some of our product models, but it seems that these models have not been updated for a while.

We want to know if there is some way for us to upload the model of our new product to the official model library?

Yes, please! Especially the hang bars and ground stacking hardware. Thank you!

• Like 1

Unfortunately there is not something like ‘3D warehouse’ for Vectorworks. 

As I gather from JuanP ‘s reply, the”ll contact you soon. 

It helps if the symbols are properly made. (Classes, records attached with the correct information etc etc)

You can also host the VWX file with the symbols on your own website as a downloadable file. 

@JuanP Could the content manager also reach out to me?

I’ve got some symbols (both 3D &

ConnectCad schematics) from manufacturer, who really wants them in the library. 

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
8 minutes ago, R_Teunissen said:

It helps if the symbols are properly made. (Classes, records attached with the correct information etc etc)

That is 100% correct. The easiest way for a manufacturer to assist the content team is to produce the content properly using the correct classes, naming structure, file structure, and records. The less creation that the team has to do from scratch allows the request to get through the queue faster.

19 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

That is 100% correct. The easiest way for a manufacturer to assist the content team is to produce the content properly using the correct classes, naming structure, file structure, and records. The less creation that the team has to do from scratch allows the request to get through the queue faster.

please elaborate?

I wish a lighting device symbol was classed so that I can define the 2D line weights using classes. I wish the lens objects were in a lens class. Sometime,I wish for a lens when none has been included. I do not wish to have to work with the VWX provided classing for many objects.

Picking one object type.

• Like 2

I too would be interested to hear what "correct" classes, naming structure and so on were, because I've never had the impression that any such thing exists within VW.

Where objects come with classes already assigned I normally spend some time reclassing and renaming them to fit into my own scheme.

(It's not necessarily a bad thing that VW has no "correct" setup - it allows everyone to customise things to their own needs - but let's not pretend there's one when there isn't)

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1
19 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I wish a lighting device symbol was classed so that I can define the 2D line weights using classes. I wish the lens objects were in a lens class. Sometime,I wish for a lens when none has been included. I do not wish to have to work with the VWX provided classing for many objects.

For the example of the spotlight lighting devices, I would like a 2D class for the Focal Length or type and a 2D class for the object outline/fill. Sometimes a third if I need further differentiation. I need a class for the lens objects so I can make them glow in renders, otherwise, I need a class for the 3D components. They are generally black, but I have powered coated units and parts of units. In that case,I understand that I need to take the symbol apart.

VWX provides classes for options might make sense of say PRG Germany, but not for, in my experience, most users.

Make sense?

On 9/4/2023 at 6:07 PM, vino.wu said:

Hi!

In the meantime, would it be possible to provide links on your website to whatever models you have available? For example: https://www.l-acoustics.com/result-documentation-center/?choice=K2#page-1

I use ROE products on almost every single project, so I'm honestly tempted to volunteer my services of converting your assets to meet VW criteria (just not sure how huge your library is).

We have connected with the representatives in the CAD department at ROE Visual and are in the process of getting everything in place to produce the additions to their offerings in Vectorworks. If all goes well there may start to be additions in the November 2023 update to the Premium Libraries.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, JustinVH said:

We have connected with the representatives in the CAD department at ROE Visual and are in the process of getting everything in place to produce the additions to their offerings in Vectorworks. If all goes well there may start to be additions in the November 2023 update to the Premium Libraries.

it might be interesting to compare how these libraries differ from what ROE now offers.

On 9/5/2023 at 3:47 PM, R_Teunissen said:

Could the content manager also reach out to me?

@Remco Teunissen I provided you information a few years ago and then we did not hear from you again about standards. I will forward you that email. 

Manufacturers need to use the link here for their requests and you will then be put into the queue: https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/community/partner-network

We have a massive backlog of manufacturer content to develop and add.

I have to say, if a manufacturer is willing to offer VW compatible models of their products, I'd prefer to go to their website and grab whatever imperfect offerings they have now, than wait to see if they appear in the official content libraries, especially if there is a massive backlog in the queue.

My experience is not that models or symbols imported from the content libraries are always without problems.

• Like 1