Is there a way to merge these roofs?

JonKoch

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about. It's not a huge deal but I'm just curious if there's a way to make it so you can't see the eave end of the roof where it intersects with the gable of the other one. 

For the record, I'm a landscape designer and I'm just working on this as an illustrative piece for my site model. So don't critique the poor construction too much. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 1.27.11 PM.png

There is some way to probably join the roofs but that never works so well for me.  I would copy the two sets of roofs off to the side by a set distance.

Then take the roofs and subtract the solids.  This gets you the intersected geometry. 

Using the 3d tool extract the shape of the new roof (minus the gable end).

Then you can double click the roof and clip the rectangle to the new surface.

Running to a meeting.  Hope this helps.

ScreenShot2023-08-31at1_54_53PM.thumb.png.d16ab5a82746286807ec92b6ffcb0e6f.png

Roof Study.vwx

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1

If you haven't already tried it, I would at least try using the Connect/Combine Tool in the Basic tool pallet. For years I thought that tool was only joining lines, so I was delightfully surprised to learn that it joins roof faces. But as @@cberg pointed out, it doesn't always work. It seems to work only in the simplest cases. Your case might be that simple.

Ed

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 11.55.04 AM.png

On 8/31/2023 at 6:31 PM, JonKoch said:

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about. It's not a huge deal but I'm just curious if there's a way to make it so you can't see the eave end of the roof where it intersects with the gable of the other one. 

For the record, I'm a landscape designer and I'm just working on this as an illustrative piece for my site model. So don't critique the poor construction too much. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-08-31 at 1.27.11 PM.png

The way I do it came from @Jonathan Pickup + I'm sure he'd be happy to post a video demonstrating it. In the meantime the steps are:

1) In Top/Plan select both Roof objects + run Modify>Convert>Convert Copy to Lines, choosing the Hidden Line option.

2) Enter the resultant Group, use the Polygon tool in Inner Boundary Mode to shift-click in the spaces between the Lines to create a single polygon for each roof. 

3) With the two Polygons selected, Invert Selection + delete the lines.

4) Ungroup the Polys + use them to clip each roof in turn.

Polygons + Roofs prior to clipping:

Screenshot2023-09-03at09_00_22.thumb.png.d3696e81667b760c36c021d048ca3e7a.png

After clipping:

Screenshot2023-09-03at08_53_09.thumb.png.23ec6b17ad99767a759bc8ca7f723f3f.png

Screenshot2023-09-03at08_53_26.thumb.png.47add2029f4f520200de64d457564f00.png

• Like 2