Non-existent lines appearing on sheet layer viewports

oliver.williams

Question

Hello,

I am in VW2023 and in a few viewports of my 3D model, lines have started appearing that i havetnt drawn and arent there in the model at all so i can't seem to get rid of them. I will ingclude images for clarity in what I mean. This first photo is my 3D model, a solid made from extruding a face then subtracting solids to make the circular pockets. Hwoever when i make a hidden line viewport on sheet layers these lines appear (photo 2), I dont know where they come from but i cant get rid of them. They look like tangent lines to the circles, so maybe something to do with that. Any way to get rid of these lines? Any help would be great, cheers

image.thumb.png.8513323560e9706d6e1c1a52f2a7a54f.pngimage.png.6dc981488cfe6ffe43bb28839c8f73ed.png

12 answers to this question

9 hours ago, oliver.williams said:

Hello,

I am in VW2023 and in a few viewports of my 3D model, lines have started appearing that i havetnt drawn and arent there in the model at all so i can't seem to get rid of them. I will ingclude images for clarity in what I mean. This first photo is my 3D model, a solid made from extruding a face then subtracting solids to make the circular pockets. Hwoever when i make a hidden line viewport on sheet layers these lines appear (photo 2), I dont know where they come from but i cant get rid of them. They look like tangent lines to the circles, so maybe something to do with that. Any way to get rid of these lines? Any help would be great, cheers

I would try toggling on/off the "Display planar objects" and "Project screen objects) checkboxes for your viewport. If they disappear then they are likely somewhere in your model. The quickest way to find them might be to draw another line in the design layers and use the select similar tool with the options set to Object Type to select it and all other lines.

Kevin

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I would try toggling on/off the "Display planar objects" and "Project screen objects) checkboxes for your viewport. If they disappear then they are likely somewhere in your model. The quickest way to find them might be to draw another line in the design layers and use the select similar tool with the options set to Object Type to select it and all other lines.

Kevin

22 minutes ago, Peter Neufeld. said:

Hello,

I would also play with the 'Smoothing Angle' settings in the Line Render options dialogue.

image.png

Cheers,

Peter

I tried both these options, the advice kevin gave did not make them dissapier out of the viewports. I dont think the line is in the 3d model as even when i use x-ray view hovering over the 3d model i cannot see the line. the unwanted line only appears in the viewport. And playing around with the line options as peter said didnt change anything. When i try and edit the 3d shape i cant click into it or edit solid like i can with other shapes. in shape it says tit is a generic solid instead of a solid addition. May this be the problem? Or maybe its something to do with the viewport trying to render circles.

5 hours ago, oliver.williams said:

I tried both these options, the advice kevin gave did not make them dissapier out of the viewports. I dont think the line is in the 3d model as even when i use x-ray view hovering over the 3d model i cannot see the line. the unwanted line only appears in the viewport. And playing around with the line options as peter said didnt change anything. When i try and edit the 3d shape i cant click into it or edit solid like i can with other shapes. in shape it says tit is a generic solid instead of a solid addition. May this be the problem? Or maybe its something to do with the viewport trying to render circles.

Are you able to post a file? In your original post you describe how you made the object. How did it become a generic solid? Did you convert it? Otherwise it may have become corrupted. Here's an image with some comments about the lines.

Kevin

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 6.56.29 AM.png

5 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I'd forgotten about that post. I think all of those instances were in the design layer though, not in viewports....

KM

I think you are right, but I have had it in viewports too, especially on pierced surfaces such as clipped poly lines that have been extruded or solid subtractions.  Should we expect the behavior be any different between design layer and viewports?

50 minutes ago, jmcewen said:

Should we expect the behavior be any different between design layer and viewports?

^ I think that depends upon which render modes you are using. I believe shaded render mode uses the VGM for both design layers and viewports. Not sure about hidden line in the design layers, I think it may be a legacy renderer. Hidden line for viewports was converted to the VGM recently.

Kevin

10 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I think all of those instances were in the design

Those tests with the decorative wrought iron produced unwanted or out of place HL lines in both Design Layer and Sheet Layer Viewports.

I don't recall whether I filed a bug.  Will file one.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
late
  • Like 1

This time I did file a bug report via the webform. So, I guess? it will?, maybe?, be looked into ???

meanwhile, I also played a bit more with my file and the troubled objects therein. These were extrudes of polylines. The polys have lots of holes clipped out. The clipped poly was drawn and extruded on layer plane, then rotated 3d to xz plane for rendering.

One new test - If I copy/paste the source poly onto the layer plane, and extrude it, and leave it on layer plane, it renders HL with fewer anomalies than the same object rotated 3d onto the xz plane.

Further - an Extracted face of the extrude (a NURBS Surface on the xz plane) renders HL with only minor anomalies, but a Shell of that  NURBS Surface renders HL with a bunch of anomalies. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Gaaaah!
  • Like 1

Just noticed a difference between the "Hidden Line Muddle" example and this example.  The other thread is an extrude of a clipped polygon, this is a solid subtraction.  Just for larks, what happens if you convert the subtraction to a generic solid?  The other thread experimented with converting to nurbs and got modestly better results, perhaps we stopped short, but were on the right path before.  I also wonder if minor changes in your geometry such as nudging the depth of one of our subtracted surfaces by .001 might cause a different rendering result.  

I have had operations fail, then do a solid addition where the added object is entirely inside the other object so it does not change anything visually or dimensionally.  After doing this sometimes the operation will succeed.  perhaps this will shake something loose in the rendering process as well...

I am not suggesting this as a fix-- just as a bandaid if you need this for presentation or something like that.

• Like 1

jmcewen is on the right track for attempting workarounds.

1: Substitute a clipped polygon extrusion for an extrusion that has subtracted objects that are perpendicular to the work plane and visa versa sometimes works. 

2. Sometimes not adding two solids that are touching or intersecting will produce the correct look without corruption.

3. Adjusting the length of a cutting solid in a manner that is not changing the desired recess or hole will sometimes remove the corruption.

4. Recreating and then replacing the original cutting object. With multi-object extrusions it is occasionally only one of the outlines that needs to be replaced, but in the file I uploaded in the other thread there are three circles in the extrusion out of five that if present cause my extraneous line to appear.

• Like 1