Various issues, lot of crashing no clear reason, high memory usage.

Blinkglitter

Question

Hello,

Seem to be having a lot of issues of different kinds. 😞 Not sure what to do.

1. Regular crashes that seems to be caused by mac trackpad gestures, e.g. swapping desktop or viewing all windows

2. Crashes through general use of vectorworks - I am using interiorcad most of the time, so usually relating to one of interiorcads tools.

3. Strangely high memory usage, even a 64mb file has vectorworks memory usage at 6gb. This might also be causing crashes but I can't interpret the crash log.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start resolving this.

Thanks, Jake

9 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Blinkglitter said:

seems to be caused by mac trackpad gestures,

I think on the german forum,

that usual esoteric PRAM Reset was successful in such a case.

There was also a manual in the internet on how to exactly do this

for various Mac models.

• Like 1
On 7/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, zoomer said:

I think on the german forum,

that usual esoteric PRAM Reset was successful in such a case.

There was also a manual in the internet on how to exactly do this

for various Mac models.

Thanks for your advise, I will look into this.

Hi @Blinkglitter, Check what release of Interiorcad you're using. Interiorcad 2023 F5.1 (and perhaps any in between this and F4.1) have two issues that cause crashing. At least one of them is related to graphics, which yours seems to be. Release F5.2 fixes both types of crashes/causes. Apply the update and you might find the problem goes away. Please reply here so others can benefit. 

Thanks! 

Jeremy 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Hi @Blinkglitter, Check what release of Interiorcad you're using. Interiorcad 2023 F5.1 (and perhaps any in between this and F4.1) have two issues that cause crashing. At least one of them is related to graphics, which yours seems to be. Release F5.2 fixes both types of crashes/causes. Apply the update and you might find the problem goes away. Please reply here so others can benefit. 

Thanks! 

Jeremy 

Jeremy thanks I didn't know 5.2 had been released. I will post in here if any of the issues go away. I had also been having some weird glitchy line weights and viewports not outlining in red after updating the model space, hopefully this resolves it.

Release F5.2

Does this apply to XS as well or just full interiorcad? I just changed from demo version XS to proper paid version a few days ago + it says I'm on version F4.1... Should I be looking to update...? How? Thanks

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Should I be looking to update...?

Yes. 

This issue was not occurring for me on F4.1, but my installation was Interiorcad, not the lesser Interior XS. So either it was affecting Interior XS only/more, or the issue only occurs in the releases between F4.1 and F5.2. We had a customer experiencing repeated crashes who was using Interior xs F5.1. They tried rolling back to F3 and the crashes went away. Later they applied F5.2 and everything has been going great. 

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

How?

Contact your distributor and request the download link. 

• Like 1
On 7/10/2023 at 4:30 AM, Jeremy Best said:

Release F5.2 fixes both types of crashes/causes. Apply the update and you might find the problem goes away. Please reply here so others can benefit. 

Thanks! 

Jeremy 

still having random crashes. Thinking maybe it’s a user folder issue as I’ve heard about that on this forum before. Or maybe I don’t have enough ram? Only 8GB. I saw on extragroup German website it says 16gb minimum recommended. Any thoughts on that appreciated

12 hours ago, Blinkglitter said:

still having random crashes. Thinking maybe it’s a user folder issue as I’ve heard about that on this forum before. Or maybe I don’t have enough ram? Only 8GB. I saw on extragroup German website it says 16gb minimum recommended. Any thoughts on that appreciated

If too little RAM/Memory is the issue this will probably be reflected in your operating system's monitor:

• On macOS, open Activity Monitor. In the Memory tab look at the 'Memory Pressure' graph at the bottom. If 'Memory Used' gets close to 8GB OR if the Memory Pressure graph goes yellow, orange or red, –at the time crashes occur, then lack of memory is a the probable cause. 
  • On Windows, open Task Manager. In the Processes tab, look in the Memory tab. If the memory graph at the top is at or above 90% –at the time crashes occur, then lack of memory is a the probable cause. 

If you are using an Apple M1 processor with only 8GB of memory, that is essentially less memory than non-Apple processors because that 8GB is shared with the graphics card. Apple do seem to do a great job at managing memory and you'll see the hard drive being used to extend it when needed. This is body of memory is referred to in macOS as 'Swap.' The greater the quantity of data being 'swapped' per second, the higher the pressure. I would not expect normal performance for Interiorcad with such low specs. If memory pressure is high, to minimise consumption: Close all apps, restart your computer, then open only Vectorworks. Have visible only the Layers and Classes you need and only visit layers you need to work on. The more you view, the more memory will be consumed. 

If you suspect your User Folder, the most likely part responsible will be one of the Vectorworks preference files in the 'Settings' folder. To test this possibility: 

1. Quit Vectorworks. 
  2. Go the the User Folder: 
    • On macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/ (Use 'Go to Folder…' in the Finder's 'Go' menu). 
    • On WIndows: %AppData%\Nemetschek\Vectorworks (Paste this into the address bar in any File Explorer window). 
  3. Append the name of the Settings folder with the date. 
  4. Reopen Vectorworks and (if necessary) set up your Vectorworks Preferences again. 

The same process can be used to (at least temporarily) rule out any content in your current User Folder. To do so, repeat the above steps but apply them to the '202X' folder of your version. You will need your Interior XS / Interiorcad activation code in this scenario. 

I'm interested in this case because I have a Windows user experiencing problems with Interior xs, but I can't reproduce them and no one else is experiencing them. Thank you for reporting your results! 

If too little RAM/Memory is the issue this will probably be reflected in your operating system's monitor:

If you suspect your User Folder, the most likely part responsible will be one of the Vectorworks preference files in the 'Settings' folder. To test this possibility: 

The same process can be used to (at least temporarily) rule out any content in your current User Folder. To do so, repeat the above steps but apply them to the '202X' folder of your version. You will need your Interior XS / Interiorcad activation code in this scenario. 

I'm interested in this case because I have a Windows user experiencing problems with Interior xs, but I can't reproduce them and no one else is experiencing them. Thank you for reporting your results! 

Jeremy thank you for all this, this is really helpful. I will report back with the results

Edited by Blinkglitter