Worksheet -Format Cells

LeeElston

Question

I have a door schedule where i want to highlight some cells for attention later.. However the 'Format cells' command seems to add a fill to all of the cells in that column, not just the single cell I want to amend.. Is there a way of doing this, or will I need to export as an Excel file to get this level of control?

TIA

format cells 1.png

format cells 2.png

8 answers to this question

Since those cells are part of a database, then all of the cells in that column will take on the formatting of that one cell. You can’t have separate formatting for individual cell(s) in a database Worksheet.
I believe that you’ll have to export to Excel to have that level of control.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1

Yes it could be, but I am not certain how high it would be on VW priority list.

It is not an easy thing to do.  Database Subrows are dynamic.  If you add an additional object or delete an object from the drawing, the number of subrows will change and the cell you highlighted could move up or down.

If you change the sort order, should the highlighted cell stay with the data highlighted? Or should it stay with the same absolute cell number?

If you SUMmarize subrows where one cell is highlighted, what would be the proper action?

I am not saying that having this ability should not be added, just that trying to do it properly on dynamic subrows if far more complicated than in a static worksheet like Excel.

But I would love to have the ability also.  I recommend that you add a post in the WishList forum and ask for this feature.

• Like 2

I think VW should make the distinction between 'Database Reports' + 'Criteria Reports' much much clearer. When I was learning about Worksheets it was only @Jonathan Pickup who spelled it out clearly (in tutorials etc) + helped me get my head around it. Would make it a lot easier for people to understand when it comes to questions like above. (In the meantime we are very fortunate to have @Pat Stanford + his excellent explainers!)