? Best import format for importing mapped 3d files into Vectorworks?

I have had clients ask me what file format they can send me that would include mapped textures. I have successfully imported complex 3D solids as STEP files but have never been able to import a 3d that had mapped graphics unless it was a vectorworks document. Any help would be helpful so I can provide an answer.  I have avoided this in the past but the question keeps coming up. The time wasted trying to open files is better spent rebuilding the 3d in vectorworks if possible.

4 minutes ago, rjtiedeman said:

I have had clients ask me what file format they can send me that would include mapped textures. I have successfully imported complex 3D solids as STEP files but have never been able to import a 3d that had mapped graphics unless it was a vectorworks document. Any help would be helpful so I can provide an answer.  I have avoided this in the past but the question keeps coming up. The time wasted trying to open files is better spent rebuilding the 3d in vectorworks if possible.

.obj works really well for meshes with mapped textures.

3 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello @rjtiedeman the import formats that would include textures and mapping are Sketchup, OBJ, 3DS, and USD.

Thank you. After seeing the job I determined it was easier to remake the 3D shape than fuss with converting files from a PC. However in the future I will request all 3 formats. The issue will always get back to budget and how much I am willing to do in the name of education. People think “All you have to do“ is push a button and and it’s magic and free.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

I agree with Jeff. .OBJ works flawlessly from my modeling app. 

This is just a curiosity inquiry.  I always export from Vectorworks, but seldom import.

It appears that you and others model in two or more applications, Vectorworks and others.  

May I ask what application you or anyone else on this thread use.

1 hour ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

This is just a curiosity inquiry.  I always export from Vectorworks, but seldom import.

It appears that you and others model in two or more applications, Vectorworks and others.  

It doesn't bother me using several different programs, where each program simply works best for me and what I do, and takes me from A to B in the quickest possible way. I almost always use TouchCAD for my NURBS modeling, more advanced texture mapping tasks, high quality image unfolding, and for advanced unfolding/unrolling of complex panels. Vectorworks mostly for 2D documentation, building and construction modeling, processing scanned 3D-models, and sometimes when I need solid modeling. For basic renderings, I usually use the built in rendering in TouchCAD, whereas for more high quality tasks, I usually use Keyshot, occasionally Artlantis, and on very rare occasions Blender. Photoshop is always present of course, but also the Affinity range (Photo, Designer, Publisher). A recent favorite is Topaz Gigapixel AI used for pumping up the resolution of images, as I work with very large image files. 

2 hours ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

I don’t do much production work since switching to Vectorworks.  I sometimes dabble in Blender now for fun.

I would freshen up my Rhino if I had a need and the time to do.  I mourn the loss of Bryce.

AutoCAD and Sketchup are in the rear view mirror and I hope they don’t catch-up.  Revit is still sitting on the dealership’s lot and about as appealing as an ingrown toenail.

If I were limited to only one modeling tool to use for the rest of my career, I would use clay or chipboard and ditch the computers.

29 minutes ago, VIRTUALENVIRONS said:

Thanks for the info.  You have quite a stable of products.  I take it you must do more than Architecture.

regards....Virtual

Some architecture too but nowadays mostly other stuff. Here is a random selection of models from TouchCAD dumped into Adobe Aero just to see fit it worked. It did. Got bored after 25 models and gave up. 

25 TouchCAD models 2.jpg