Gaps Around Doors

orionz

Question

I am doing a training course and am stuck with inserting doors. Following the set up instructions and the task instructions I don't see any settings that could be causing the issue. Any time I insert doors it adds a 13mm gap on each side (including the top). This happens with any type of door I try to use. What am I doing wrong?
Attached screenshots of what the exercise expects me to do and my results.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 08.53.12.png

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 08.53.02.png

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 08.54.24.png

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 09.00.12.png

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

You have set a "Shim Gap" value.

Should be in Jamb and Sash Settings at the bottom.

Set it to 0.00

Having found that setting you're right, but I haven't got any option to change it. I haven't opened this menu before so this is definitely the default.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 11.36.15.png

Edit the style rather than the settings for the door instance. That particular parameter is set to be edited only by style i.e. only within the Door definition. Right-click on the Door instance in the drawing + select 'Edit Plug-in Style...'. This type of control is a feature of all styled objects

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Edit the style rather than the settings for the door instance. That particular parameter is set to be edited only by style i.e. only within the Door definition. Right-click on the Door instance in the drawing + select 'Edit Plug-in Style...'. This type of control is a feature of all styled objects

Fixed! Thank you

Hmm not sure what's going on there then. In fact looking at your earlier screenshot you have 'Show shim gap in plan' disabled so you shouldn't have seen it anyway in 2D, despite the fact it was set to 13mm.

Is the door instance in the drawing definitely styled? (select it + check the 'Style' parameter in the OIP). I mean do the style settings in the screenshot definitely relate to the door you're showing in the drawing?

Or maybe post the file...

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Hmm not sure what's going on there then. In fact looking at your earlier screenshot you have 'Show shim gap in plan' disabled so you shouldn't have seen it anyway in 2D, despite the fact it was set to 13mm.

Is the door instance in the drawing definitely styled? (select it + check the 'Style' parameter in the OIP). I mean do the style settings in the screenshot definitely relate to the door you're showing in the drawing?

Or maybe post the file...

1916665410_DoorShim.vwx

Thanks. Not sure what's going on but when I open the file the top door has a 13mm shim gap + says as much in the OIP despite the style being set to have a 0mm shim gap. If I then open the Door Style dialog + click ok to leave it again the shim gap disappears. If I select the Door Tool + select the version of the style from the active file in the Resource Selector + insert a new door it shows the correct (i.e. 0mm) shim gap.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Thanks. Not sure what's going on but when I open the file the top door has a 13mm shim gap + says as much in the OIP despite the style being set to have a 0mm shim gap. If I then open the Door Style dialog + click ok to leave it again the shim gap disappears. If I select the Door Tool + select the version of the style from the active file in the Resource Selector + insert a new door it shows the correct (i.e. 0mm) shim gap.

Yep, hitting OK seems to make it disappear. Thanks for your help.