Outdoor Brick or Concrete pedestal for School Mascot (Ram)

We are blessed to have a lot of work right now.  That being said I need to draw a Outdoor Brick or Concrete pedestal for a School Mascot (Ram). It would be realy awesome if someone had one they could share.  It would be nice to get this one off my plate quick and easy. 

@The Hamma

Still working on this?

Can you post an image or sketch of your goal, with dimensional limits or general scale notes?

You need the sculpture? or just the base?

Ideas

1]  Simple extrude or multi extrude for the base shape.  Texture as needed.

Image prop for the ram.

2] Model and texture the base. Very simple sideview extrude as placeholder for the ram. Add detail model of the horns. (might try this one, gimme a minute).

3] Image prop for the whole thing if example exists.

-B

I agree w/ @mike m oz and @line-weight. Design will require engineering and probably lots of discussion among client and design team members regarding goals and how to reach them: restoration practices, strategies to prevent future degradation and damage, public safety, structural integrity, lighting, access, etc, etc.  Not much definitive offered here. But here are some questions and thoughts, and a concept common for anchoring 4 legged statuary.

Curious about:

• Why is sculpture no longer on its plinth?  Intentionally moved to ground for repairs? Vandals knocked it off? then someone moved it upright on the lawn
  • What was the original connection of sculpture to plinth? No apparent anchor points in top of plinth.
  • Sculpture material? Looks like fiberglass where horns are broken.
  • Site is Public property? Private property? Is planned new location a controlled environment? or accessible by public (vandals) 24/7?

Some comments and an anchor concept common in public art

Sculpture restoration

• Those horns are vulnerable, especially to “testing” (if I can flex it, maybe I can break it!) and to trophy hunters (Battery saw, 10 min or less if fiberglass.)
  • An internal armature might strengthen agains future breaks. But multiple materials can cause future problems.
  • New connection to plinth - L-Bolts? Sled? Weld feet to a large heavy plate then bolt or anchor the plate to top of plinth?
  • Work with owner and engineer.  Make all anchor components stainless or silicon bronze. Isolate anchor system so it nowhere contacts iron rebar (eg plastic spacers or tape wrap at each touch point, use stainless ties, etc.)

Plinth design to discourage future damage

• Taller might keep vandals away.
  • But taller also presents fall and injury danger for those who try.  equals liability.
  • If taller, then is fall zone treatment needed, similar to playground regs?
  • Concrete/brick box? Plate atop a narrow column or a cone?
  • Plinth could provide some seating? lighting, planting, etc
  • Location for visibility from many windows.

OK, I  find this very interesting.  @The Hamma, tell us your thinking and how things are going.

-B

RamAnchor.png

• Like 1