Excluding N.I.C. walls from Wall Schedule

Ramon PG

1. Select Edit Plug In Style of the graphics legend In OIP

2.Select Define Legend Source

3.Select Define Custom Source

4.Add a Criteria for example 'Wall Style - is not - Wall Style Name'

The new legend tool shows a lot of promise but there is a lot of options to learn.   Some years the VW new features are MEH! I think this will be one of the good ones.

Wall Style Legend.png

2 hours ago, TomKen said:

1. Select Edit Plug In Style of the graphics legend In OIP

2.Select Define Legend Source

3.Select Define Custom Source

4.Add a Criteria for example 'Wall Style - is not - Wall Style Name'

The new legend tool shows a lot of promise but there is a lot of options to learn.   Some years the VW new features are MEH! I think this will be one of the good ones.

Wall Style Legend.png

Thanks for the reply and great instructions. Seems this is for 2023? I am on 2022. I can't find that "Edit Plug-In Style"...

On 2/2/2023 at 10:04 AM, Ramon PG said:

How can I exclude existing N.I.C. walls from the Wall Schedule like one can do with doors and windows? 

I don't want the contractor to keep asking, "Where's this wall shown in the Schedule?"

Thanks

So, is there a way in 2022 to exclude walls from the Wall Schedule worksheet? I am having problems with some of them refusing to let me edit their description. Since they are existing and N.I.C. I'd rather exclude them from the Schedule.

158936893_ScreenShot2023-02-10at8_10_58AM.png.14bcbd45136d69abc5d13edfeb90dd5f.png 

4 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Can the NIC walls go in a dedicated NIC class then they can be excluded this way?

I use 'existing', 'proposed' + 'demolished' classes as a matter of course

Me too, the stock classes for some walls are not very practical when doing a remodel.

Anyway... why can't I edit the wall entry in the Schedule if they are all the same, same width, same components, only some of the height changes. It works with some walls, not others. I suspect the "Generic" ones are glitchy. Seems Ill have to duplicate a "good" wall and eliminate the components to make it "generic" (no hatch, as in a low wall or parapet).

Seems like a good application for applying a record to a wall and then...

filtering them out or applying data visualization to for....

for reporting and graphic purposes.

Sure makes things easier when compared to managing a bunch of classes or wall styles.

Same logic applies to phases.  I think there's even a great lesson on this topic on Vectorworks University 😉

A firehouse remodel IIRC with an emphasis on Data Vis.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2023 at 4:48 PM, Pat Stanford said:

What identifies specific walls as N.I.C.?  If they all have something that is the same about them that is different than walls you want on the schdule them we can modify the criteria to exclude them.

I though not including the existing walls in it would simplify things for me; they are just going to be painted. The NIC wall at the end of the Schedule are partition walls that will be supplied by the Office System contractor; I just included them for the GCs reference. 

The very strange thing is that gypsum board walls have varying heights and yet the description in the Schedule appears perfectly as written in the Wall Style, but the same is the case with the generic walls, and yet I get the three dots in the style description, and cannot edit it.

As to "How can two different Schedule entries direct me to the SAME Styled Wall in the Resource Manager???" I wish I could select all walls with the same style ("C", for instance) and replace them instead of trying to find the culprit wall one by one. 

Have you tried using Custom Selection. Wall Style is one of the options. Use that and the replace the Style for all of them at one with the style you want.

What columns are you SUMmarizing the report on? That would be my guess as to why you have two different entries for C and Generic 6". That the report is not seeing them as the same due to the Mark being different. That could also explain why you are getting the --- for the description. If it is actually two different styles.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

Have you tried using Custom Selection. Wall Style is one of the options. Use that and the replace the Style for all of them at one with the style you want.

What columns are you SUMmarizing the report on? That would be my guess as to why you have two different entries for C and Generic 6". That the report is not seeing them as the same due to the Mark being different. That could also explain why you are getting the --- for the description. If it is actually two different styles.

I appreciate the response. I'll check that tomorrow and report.

18 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Hello, I was able to fix the Schedule with the Custom Selection by overriding the IFC descriptions and the classes. Except for the Existing 6" Wall that I need to keep 2 diff classes because some walls are interio, but some are in the exterior (outside the building). If I change all to the same class I will have visibility issues. Someone has prob had this issue and solved it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. One less thing to worry about.

image.png.004931686b5b7eae52ae4de3ba857547.png

Edited by Ramon PG