Hidden Line Rendering still not working

MGuilfoile

Question

Please refer to the attached image showing a hidden line rendered viewport with a Sketch filter applied. The the line cutting through the two very, very solid figures is the base of a wall some 80 feet away. This happens all the time on both Mac and Windows versions of VW 2022SP4. It's been around for a while. It does not happen on other rendering modes, just hidden line. When will this be fixed? Is it being fixed?

Thanks,

MGuilfoile

Vectorworks problem.PNG

6 answers to this question

This happens whether sketch is applied or not to a hidden line drawing and has been happening for a while. The human figures have a 70% transparent texture map on them, but that should not matter. This happens in most of my files. It is not a problem unique to any of my files. It is a problem with Vectorworks. I can't really send you the file due to NDAs and I don't have the time right now to create a dummy file with the same arrangement. Sorry. You should just create a file yourself. The lines you see coming through the figures are the top and bottom of a wall a good distance behind. The figures are symbols, polygons extruded around an inch. I'm using a RW camera. The wall and figures are in different classes. I'm using VW2022 SP4. There you go.

MGuilfoile

6 minutes ago, MGuilfoile said:

I don't have the time right now to create a dummy file with the same arrangement. Sorry. You should just create a file yourself.

Probably not an effective strategy when seeking help.

I do not have this behavior in my files, so I suspect it has something to do with the way you constructed your people.

Hi @MGuilfoile

I provide technical support for users in New Zealand. I’d like to see if I can resolve this matter.

For posterity first I’ll just say: Due to the number of variables and variations between installations, files and individual operations performed, it is not practical for others to test scenarios without explicit detail of the variables involved or a file being supplied. I know this may seem counter-intuitive but most issues are file-specific or installation-specific. There are plenty of exceptions but they are not the majority. 

If this line you’re seeing was caused by a software bug I would expect to have received many reports of it by now. Especially as you indicate it has occurred consistently for you for awhile. This means the cause is likely either something specific to all your files or your installation. To determine this perform a typical ‘acid test’: 

Go: File > New… > Create blank document 

Draw a wall 80 feet away from the User Origin, using one of the Wall Styles in the Vectorworks Libraries. 
Make a simple extrusion at 0,0. 
Create a new Sheet Layer Viewport with a Hidden Line render and update. 

If the phenomenon occurs, it’s likely due to something in your installation. If it doesn’t occur then something in all your other files is responsible. Most likely: ‘far out objects.’ (Search that term to find remedial instructions). 

However, if it does occur I’d be keen to get a copy of this test file before suggesting you spend much time doing anything else. 

Cheers, 

Jeremy. 

Thanks for your offer. I'll try to find time to send it. First, 80 feet is not very far away (around 25 M). I do have walls of my "sound stage" that are close to 400 feet away (around 125 M). In short, it really shouldn't matter, should it? That said, the problem is not related to some "too far from the origin" problem unless having a 125 M circular wall around my design space is a problem. If so, I would consider that a software code mistake, anyway.

The way I get around it is to select the objects that are rendering as wireframe in the viewport. Once in that Design Layer, I select all the objects and make them not solid. Then I selected and make them solid. Then I do it again. And then again. Three times. It may work with only one or two times, but it always seems to "stick" with three. So I just cut to the chase and do three of these incantations. So, it does work, but for some reason it needs to be reminded several times. I should note that I've tried the same file in Windows and the Mac Oses. I've also tested files with different SP levels. It is possible there is something wrong with BOTH my Windows and my Mac versions, but I've learned that if I see hoofprints, I shouldn't look for zebras. That said, I appreciate your help and I'll try to put together a small file (so I'm not in non-compliance with my NDA) and send it off. I'm hoping it is something simple or just some process I'm doing the wrong way...i.e, my human error.

I love New Zealand. I've never been there, but I've worked a good bit with people from Te Papa musuem. Wonderful folk.

MHBrown