Can you have different line weights for left-side wall line and right-side wall line?

53 minutes ago, hollister design Studio said:

Drawing landscape/retaining walls with the wall tool and I would love the retained side to be dashed and/or light weight and the exposed side to be heavy...

Possible?

Yes, use different components with different graphics characteristics.  The you just have to remember to draw your walls in the correct direction 🙂

• Like 1

Ok - I had tried to use right pen/left pen settings previously and it never made a difference...

I just brought your wall into my drawing and if it's set to your wall class it works, if it's on my wall class it doesn't. 

Is there a setting to override the class setting?

Or for the right pen left pen to work do you have to have the class pen style set to none?

That's the only difference I could see.

jeffs wall example2 annotated.vwxjeffs wall example2 annotated.vwxI'm just confused... you have your class set to pen style none and your left set to 'by class' -- but the wall is showing a 35 solid line!

If the class is 'none' and style is by class - How is this controlled?

What's going on?

Here is your file with my wall styles and classes added

Note - I changed my L-4- wall style to match the pen setting of your style and it works like yours... I just don't understand why.

jeffs wall example2 annotated.vwx

Edited by hollister design Studio

@hollister design Studio there are two classes at play in each case: the container class ('WALL', 'L-4-STONE WALL') + the component class ('face'). The container class is set to have no pen so the pen you are seeing is from the component class.

The 'face' component class is set to have a 0.50 line:

1845906478_Screenshot2022-09-08at20_26_52.thumb.png.ae5ac152a047094163bcf6889abb5c1d.png

And both Wall components are set to take their left pen from that class whereas the right pen is set by component:

986598176_Screenshot2022-09-08at20_28_05.thumb.png.2d721c091bfa71854089de8f558723b4.png

• Like 1

I am having a similar issue in a way.  I don't want to use the Wall tool but use the Double Line tool and add a third line in between the two outer lines.  I want two solid lines 8" appart and a third dashed line between 3.5" from one of the outside lines.

I select the DL tool and set the space to 8".  Then I selct Tool Preferences/Components.  Then I add a component and set the spacing to 3.5" and close out.  However the Seperation changes to 3.5"  This makes no god damn sense.

When I go back into the Tool Preferences and look at components there is only 1 component.  I think there a nomenclature problem here.  Is a component supposed to be 2 lines?  I don't understand the terms and the VW help is useless on this.  This is the most convoluted confusing tool I've encountered so far.

I was able to get what I want by creating two compponents.  The first with a spacing of 3.5" and the second with 4.5".  The only problem is that the second componentdraws a line over the adjoing first component.  I wish there was some good videos on using this tool.

A component has a thickness. Two components next to each other share an edge, but you can set one or both of them to be hidden.

The overall thickness is set by the thickness of the components. You can't set the overall thickness and then stick a component in the middle.

Create a component with a thickness of 3.5".  Make the Left line Solid. Make the Right line thin and dashed (use a line type).

Create a second component with a thickness of 4.5". Make the Left line None. Make the Right line Solid.

Rereading your post I see you already got to the two component solution. The only part you are missing is making the Left line of the second component to be None.

image.png.0ac2a506c898f0ee3744cb46cbddbd16.png

• Like 1
21 hours ago, hollister design Studio said:

jeffs wall example2 annotated.vwxjeffs wall example2 annotated.vwxI'm just confused... you have your class set to pen style none and your left set to 'by class' -- but the wall is showing a 35 solid line!

If the class is 'none' and style is by class - How is this controlled?

What's going on?

Here is your file with my wall styles and classes added

Note - I changed my L-4- wall style to match the pen setting of your style and it works like yours... I just don't understand why.

jeffs wall example2 annotated.vwx

Based on the responses to this thread, I gather everything has been figured out.

• Like 1

Well I thought so but I'm still stuck. 

I openned the tool and I added two components. 

• Definition: set to Class/fndn-gb (this class is set to be a line type that is a long dashed line with a .35 LW I created) 
  • Thickness: 5.5"
  • Fill: none
  • Left Pen:
    • Style: line type = fndn-gb
  • Right Pen:
    • Style: None
    • Thickness = 0

• Definition: set to Class/wall abv (this class is a the default short dashed line type- ISO-02 Dashed- with a .18 LW)
  • Thickness: 4.5"
  • Fill: none
  • Left Pen:
    • Style: Line Type
    • Line Type: ISO-02 Dashed
  • Right Pen:
    • Style: Line Type
    • Line Type: fndn dashed

What I expect to occur is three lines with the two outer lines the fndn dashed line type and the inner line to be the ISO-02 Dashed.  All I get is three fndn dashed lines.  Note that this occurs whether I have the Definition:Class set to wal abv or fndn dashed.  I've tried fiddling with the short dashed line being the right line of #1 and the left line of #2, messed with the Remove By Class button and nothing gets me what I want.   I just can't seem to figure out how this functions.  BTW the active class is set to fndn-gb, class visibility is set to show/snap/modify others, and the wall abv class is set to be visible.

I just figured out it was working.  I thought it wasn't because when I draw the lines with the mouse I click and drag and relaese.  The un-highlighted lines are all three the fndn-gb line.  However when I click to complete the lines it changes to a highlited version of what I expect.  So I guess it is just a piculiar attribute of the preview of the lines prior to completion of the click completion that shows all of them as the active class then when completed it applies the component attributes.  Sorry about that.