Jump to content
  • 9

Custom Profile Edge Tool like Chamfer and Fillet for 3D objects.


blanger

Question

Posted (edited)

I find the chamfer and fillet tools for 3D objects to be invaluable.  I'd love a 3rd tool for edges that allows you to choose or draw other profiles.  Like the other tools I'd like to be able to edit and scale the profile even once applied to an edge.  I would prefer this method to extruding profile along path that takes additional steps when you already have a 3D object. I could see this functionality also expand to putting a dado or v groove into a face.

3A86DAC6-7B35-4A3C-A6CB-379ECFC2A8CB.jpeg

Edited by blanger
  • Like 3
Link to comment

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MarcelP102 said:

I agree, a dedicated custom profile tool would be nice. For now you could use Moulding Plugin: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/84415-mouldings-plugins-important-update/


thank you! To be clear my wish is for one that works like Chamfer and Fillet so I can select an edge to apply it to - rather than building up objects and doing a solid addition. I'm going to check out the plug-in... update. I've tried this before but could add materials without classing so I got sad!

Also I wanted to draw my path first or use an existing path and then apply the moulding profile.

Edited by blanger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
Posted (edited)

Gentlemen,

As a stop-gap, have you tried the Framing Member tool. It provides chamfering in addition to being able to use custom (symbol) profiles Unfortunately, it will not help you with round architraves.

 

Edited by Diamond
Link to comment
  • 0

If I have an object such as a panelled door leaf I can easily add chamfers around the panels but if I want an ogee or other profile I have to create a separate Extrude Along Path object in each case + add them to the door leaf. It would be great to just be able to click on the edges + have my profile of choice applied to them in the same way I can currently apply a chamfer or roundover. Neither the Mouldings plug-in nor Framing Member come close to this functionality. So good request @blanger!

 

1401111614_Screenshot2022-05-23at06_03_25.thumb.png.050530acb33d21118d40a9570a30d6f5.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0
7 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

If I have an object such as a panelled door leaf I can easily add chamfers around the panels but if I want an ogee or other profile I have to create a separate Extrude Along Path object in each case + add them to the door leaf. It would be great to just be able to click on the edges + have my profile of choice applied to them in the same way I can currently apply a chamfer or roundover. Neither the Mouldings plug-in nor Framing Member come close to this functionality. So good request @blanger!

 

1401111614_Screenshot2022-05-23at06_03_25.thumb.png.050530acb33d21118d40a9570a30d6f5.png


I feel like you've explained this better than I have! You get me and I appreciate that!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
On 5/22/2022 at 7:24 AM, blanger said:

thank you! To be clear my wish is for one that works like Chamfer and Fillet so I can select an edge to apply it to - rather than building up objects and doing a solid addition. I'm going to check out the plug-in... update. I've tried this before but could add materials without classing so I got sad!

Also I wanted to draw my path first or use an existing path and then apply the moulding profile.

Question.  Is your desire to not have the final object be a solid addition/solid subtraction or just that you want a one step process that is as easy as Chamfer/Fillet to make any profile?

Link to comment
  • 0
9 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Question.  Is your desire to not have the final object be a solid addition/solid subtraction or just that you want a one step process that is as easy as Chamfer/Fillet to make any profile?

 @Pat Stanford Thanks for asking! The chamfer and fillet tools fit really well with the set designer process for me. As we move through the design and get more specific it's really nice to select edge and apply a profile without needing to build another shape to add or extract. I find extrude along path to be very painful to orient and edit... clicking on an edge that you want affected is so intuitive and replicates, at least in my mind, the idea of taking a piece of wood and using a router to add a little detail.  I also come back and change the size as I learn more about the overall design. So in short, the latter of your options.

Link to comment
  • 0

I have had an idea of a "router" tool in my head for a long long time. Not sure I am going to get to this, but at least now I know that there is someone else who might be interested.

 

And does it also need an Additive Manufacturing option where it will ADD a molding rather than only removing material like a router?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • 0
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I have had an idea of a "router" tool in my head for a long long time. Not sure I am going to get to this, but at least now I know that there is someone else who might be interested.

 

And does it also need an Additive Manufacturing option where it will ADD a molding rather than only removing material like a router?

I love the idea of it being called a router tool. The additive element is a neat idea. It could be useful for running a ledger around under a shelf as a support or adding a base shoe to a leg of a 4x4 sign post without retracing anything. The key to all my favorite tools is the ability to come back and adjust later.  In fact I wish you could change between chamfer and fillet now.
 

Side note this made me think of: At some point I have some wall improvements I'm going to request too as incorporating base and wainscoting cap into walls (or anything that continues without interruption along the same line would be amazing!

 

 

Edited by blanger
Link to comment
  • 0

Not quite like to add chamfer (selecting edges), but drawing rectangles in 3D working plane (by hooking onto the panel itself) should be also easy.

Then transform that rectangle(s) in Moulding on 3D path (see moulding plugins).

Adjust the profile and other settings to your needs.

Do the same on the other panels, or drag / copy onto other panels.

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
10 hours ago, Paolo said:

Not quite like to add chamfer (selecting edges), but drawing rectangles in 3D working plane (by hooking onto the panel itself) should be also easy.

Then transform that rectangle(s) in Moulding on 3D path (see moulding plugins).

Adjust the profile and other settings to your needs.

Do the same on the other panels, or drag / copy onto other panels.

 

 

 

Looks great - is it possible to apply material to one without converting to a generic solid?

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...