unearthed

Importing PNG with Alpha Channel vw2012 - result black background

Question

Hi all, I've just got a script working to crop a square jpg to a circle , so resulting file is .png, and outside the circle is 100% transparent / alpha. Image encl.

But when I import into vw, no matter what I do the outside shows as black, and prints as black. Is there a solution?

HebeSalicifolia_rs.png

6 answers to this question

Are you importing it as a Bitmap object, or as an Image Fill in the Resource Manager?

Assuming the former, double check that "Import Alpha Channel" is checked:

1176634241_ScreenShot2021-01-17at8_47_00PM.thumb.png.ac382efa66472d516c2b9a146fe405ea.png

If importing as an Image Fill, I believe those can't have transparency.

@Andy Broomell @Andy Broomell 

23 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Are you importing it as a Bitmap object, or as an Image Fill in the Resource Manager?

Assuming the former, double check that "Import Alpha Channel" is checked:

1176634241_ScreenShot2021-01-17at8_47_00PM.thumb.png.ac382efa66472d516c2b9a146fe405ea.png

Hi Andy, I'm on v2012, I don't have that option, what I have encl. 

23 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

524643108_aplhapnglosingalphaonimport.thumb.JPG.e211ff4316dff45731fc87b1802beca1.JPG

If importing as an Image Fill, I believe those can't have transparency. I get black whichever setting I use, including Reference. It's also black if I use in the Resource Browser as an image.

Oh thanks Andy, that's a pity, looks like the problem has resurfaced with @jeff prince having similar issues.

With my image sheets I just crop them with a complicated viewport and all's fine and dandy, Hah, I think I've got a way, has just come to me; rather than make an alpha surround I'll do a 100% white surround, then I can just drop them on the sheet and not have to viewport them . That doesn't solve Jeff's problem tho'.

Another thing that's been added since 2012 is the ability to crop bitmap objects. You can simply double click the image, draw a circle, then hit Exit (like cropping a viewport).

Sounds like you've figure out a workaround for now 🙂