Interiorcad beginner questions

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ok cool but in the meantime, am I correct to say that if for example I want to create some cabinetry that uses a custom board which is 24mm birch plywood faced with 1.3mm Formica ColorCore front + back (= 26.6mm o/a)  I basically can only do that properly if I have the full version InteriorCad rather than InteriorXS?

Thanks

To create new boards you need to go to Interiorcad > Master Data > Edit Boards

1 hour ago, E|FA said:

I have a similar question for XS.  Looking to have cabinets cases with 3/4” plywood veneered boards that show plywood fill in section and wood texture in 3d.  I’d also like to have other US standard plywood boards. 

I also like to show solid wood fill on imperial thickness doors. Am I right that using a Solid Wood board for fronts will allow this?

Am I missing something?

You should be able to create a veneered plywood under Interiorcad > Master Data > Edit Boards

You can select what I call 'core' material and assign it's texture and you can do the same for the covering. 

Not sure if this feature is available in XS. Stephan would know.

Screenshot2023-05-31at18_01_39.thumb.png.a8cac31d56c2ee68108ea73f47fa2dfa.png

5 minutes ago, Blinkglitter said:

There is good guidance on how to do this in the interiorcad manual.

http://conf.extragroup.de/im/latest/creating-custom-libraries

When you open up the vectorworks file you need to look in the resource manager and you will see and example fitting. Duplicate that and then you can replace the geometry with your own. Don't worry about the .json files.

Nb I use the full version so don't know the limitations of XS.

Ok thank you. I realised that half the tools/commands were missing from my workspace (despite being the Interiorcad workspace!) so I have found edited the workspace + found the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command + am making some progress now...!

1 minute ago, Blinkglitter said:

You should be able to create a veneered plywood under Interiorcad > Master Data > Edit Boards

You can select what I call 'core' material and assign it's texture and you can do the same for the covering. 

The Master Data commands are not available to XS users

11 minutes ago, Blinkglitter said:

When you open up the vectorworks file you need to look in the resource manager and you will see and example fitting. Duplicate that and then you can replace the geometry with your own. Don't worry about the .json files.

Doh how stupid of me yes there the symbols are in the Resource Manager! I was just opening up the files + checking the drawing space... Thank you

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Ok thank you. I realised that half the tools/commands were missing from my workspace (despite being the Interiorcad workspace!) so I have found edited the workspace + found the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command + am making some progress now...!

'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' has worked as Stephan said it would so now I have a 'Leg Feet - Custom.vwx' file in my user folder which is what I was aiming for at the beginning! Good!

There are millions of interiorcad tools/commands in the Workspace Editor: it would be good to know which ones I ought to have in my workspace (+ an explanation why they aren't there automatically!)...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' has worked as Stephan said it would so now I have a 'Leg Feet - Custom.vwx' file in my user folder which is what I was aiming for at the beginning! Good!

There are millions of interiorcad tools/commands in the Workspace Editor: it would be good to know which ones I ought to have in my workspace (+ an explanation why they aren't there automatically!)...

Everything gets easier once you realise how it works with the Edit/Adapt Fitting Libaries

I've not ever had to edit my interiorcad workspace so can't comment on that but if you have questions on the tools or commands let me know

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Blinkglitter said:

I've not ever had to edit my interiorcad workspace so can't comment on that but if you have questions on the tools or commands let me know

This is what my interior XS tool set looks like + that's after editing it to add Miter 3D, Drilling 3D, Rabbet 3D, Drawer 3D + Hinge 3D so it was pretty bereft to begin with:

Screenshot2023-05-31at18_24_50.png.9738b54f6cd4f1a151cce85ef2e8abf0.png

Anything obvious I'm missing?

And this is my interior XS menu:

Screenshot2023-05-31at18_26_49.png.d81b23e28834485000e3ac9c3e61d4c2.png

Screenshot2023-05-31at18_27_14.png.c3782109e9643986193a07bc1e383ff4.png

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

This is what my interior XS tool set looks like + that's after editing it to add Miter 3D, Drilling 3D, Rabbet 3D, Drawer 3D + Hinge 3D so it was pretty bereft to begin with:

Anything obvious I'm missing?

And this is my interior XS menu:

Thank you

Tool set – if available i would add

Dado / Rabbet 3D

Chamfer 3D

Centrepunch 3D

Hole Line 3D

Hole Line 3D (Separate drillings)

Simple Connector 3D

Wooden Drawer Creator 3D

Here's my menu but remember I'm on full version.

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 18.37.25.png

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 18.37.48.png

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Blinkglitter said:

Everything gets easier once you realise how it works with the Edit/Adapt Fitting Libaries

Yes thank you getting there!

It's the same principle as VW but works slightly differently. In VW, all the user folders are there from the off: it's just a matter of placing vwx files in them.

In interiorcad, there is no pre-existing file structure: you need to use the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command to create the 'Custom Part' folder in Defaults initially + add the separate fitting library folders to it one by one (using the command). A sample vwx file is automatically created each time. As Stephan said you need to edit the sample symbol + replace the geometry inside it with your own, taking care to maintain the Group it resides within.

With the feet symbols there is a Record attached to this Group that you need to enter the height of the foot geometry into. Then this value is read by the cabinet + applied to the plinth to automatically size it to the correct height. You can exclude all the default feet from the list in settings by checking ‘Show custom feet only’.

Hurrah

On 6/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Tom W. said:

Yes thank you getting there!

It's the same principle as VW but works slightly differently. In VW, all the user folders are there from the off: it's just a matter of placing vwx files in them.

In interiorcad, there is no pre-existing file structure: you need to use the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command to create the 'Custom Part' folder in Defaults initially + add the separate fitting library folders to it one by one (using the command). A sample vwx file is automatically created each time. As Stephan said you need to edit the sample symbol + replace the geometry inside it with your own, taking care to maintain the Group it resides within.

You could probably save the time by just going into the custom part folder in vwx folder and copying across all the folders to the user folder? I do this with specific folders sometimes, i think its fine

On 6/1/2023 at 9:46 AM, Tom W. said:

With the feet symbols there is a Record attached to this Group that you need to enter the height of the foot geometry into. Then this value is read by the cabinet + applied to the plinth to automatically size it to the correct height. You can exclude all the default feet from the list in settings by checking ‘Show custom feet only’.

That is cool – didn't know that!

1 hour ago, Blinkglitter said:

You could probably save the time by just going into the custom part folder in vwx folder and copying across all the folders to the user folder? I do this with specific folders sometimes, i think its fine

Yep absolutely right that would do it in one fell swoop 👍

• Like 1
On 5/31/2023 at 6:04 PM, Blinkglitter said:

Jake I am just wondering: how does it work if I import (into interiorxs) a cabinet which was made in interiorcad using a non-interiorxs board? I mean if you were to send me one of your cabinets constructed using 'Walnut Veneered MDF 19' for example presumably I'd be able to use that board in that file + in any other file I imported a cabinet that used it into? And perhaps I could even save the materials in my defaults, wherever it is they get saved, for future use from any file...?

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Jake I am just wondering: how does it work if I import (into interiorxs) a cabinet which was made in interiorcad using a non-interiorxs board? I mean if you were to send me one of your cabinets constructed using 'Walnut Veneered MDF 19' for example presumably I'd be able to use that board in that file + in any other file I imported a cabinet that used it into? And perhaps I could even save the materials in my defaults, wherever it is they get saved, for future use from any file...?

I don’t think it would work, on the full version I have to manually import new materials, e.g. if I am using another computer I and want to share materials I have to ‘publish materials’ on one computer and ‘fetch materials’ on the other computer. These are under the interiorcad menu which went be available in XS.

If you are using it for architectural use, XS is very good value for money. We have full version as we are using it for production.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Blinkglitter said:

I don’t think it would work, on the full version I have to manually import new materials, e.g. if I am using another computer I and want to share materials I have to ‘publish materials’ on one computer and ‘fetch materials’ on the other computer. These are under the interiorcad menu which went be available in XS.

If you are using it for architectural use, XS is very good value for money. We have full version as we are using it for production.

Ok thank you. I agree it looks to be a great program. Its just a shame not to be able to report on material quantities in the same way I can using Materials in VW. And be able to save boards/materials for future use. At the moment (presumably- I haven't actually tried it yet) Interiorxs is going to tell me how many sheets of 'Chipboard-25' I've used when in fact the board is actually 24mm B/BB birch plywood + how many sheets of whatever random 1mm veneer I choose when in fact it's 1.3mm Formica ColorCore I'm using. I appreciate I'm only using the basic version of the software, I just want to explore the pros + cons. Thanks for the info I appreciate your help! I will just have to get my worksheet to replace the interiorxs text with my own text! 🙂

21 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ok thank you. I agree it looks to be a great program. Its just a shame not to be able to report on material quantities in the same way I can using Materials in VW. And be able to save boards/materials for future use. At the moment (presumably- I haven't actually tried it yet) Interiorxs is going to tell me how many sheets of 'Chipboard-25' I've used when in fact the board is actually 24mm B/BB birch plywood + how many sheets of whatever random 1mm veneer I choose when in fact it's 1.3mm Formica ColorCore I'm using. I appreciate I'm only using the basic version of the software, I just want to explore the pros + cons. Thanks for the info I appreciate your help! I will just have to get my worksheet to replace the interiorxs text with my own text! 🙂

no worries at all.

That’s price laddering for you. Because we use the full version we benefit from having an entirely customised material database with all the boards, veneers and laminates we use, eg Formica, Fenix etc. However I think as Stephan alluded to elsewhere, I helped him compile a materials database more geared towards uk market which may feature in a future release but *disclaimer* you will need to ask him about this as I’m a user and not involved with extragroup at all.

• Like 1
On 6/3/2023 at 3:19 AM, Blinkglitter said:

The Interiorcad Manual specifically discourages this: "Note: The files in the user folder should contain only your changes. Don‘t copy all fittings there. Otherwise, you won't automatically get updates for the libraries delivered by extragroup." 

This is probably due to this Vectorworks convention: When files with the same name are saved in the same relative location inside User Folder Libraries, Workgroup Libraries the Vectorworks [application folder] Libraries, Vectorworks will make available only the content of the former-most of these locations (User Folder > Workgroup folder > Vectorworks Libraries).

You could of course amend the names of all Interiorcad files you copy into a User Folder or Workgroup folder, but then you'll end up with duplicates of all the hardware concerned in the Interiorcad dialogs. The 'Show customer fittings only' option sounds like it should address this, but I've seen issues on user's computers that seemed to be a consequence of migrating libraries that were copied from the supplied Interiorcad libraries, into the User Folder. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Best said:

The Interiorcad Manual specifically discourages this: "Note: The files in the user folder should contain only your changes. Don‘t copy all fittings there. Otherwise, you won't automatically get updates for the libraries delivered by extragroup." 

This is probably due to this Vectorworks convention: When files with the same name are saved in the same relative location inside User Folder Libraries, Workgroup Libraries the Vectorworks [application folder] Libraries, Vectorworks will make available only the content of the former-most of these locations (User Folder > Workgroup folder > Vectorworks Libraries).

You could of course amend the names of all Interiorcad files you copy into a User Folder or Workgroup folder, but then you'll end up with duplicates of all the hardware concerned in the Interiorcad dialogs. The 'Show customer fittings only' option sounds like it should address this, but I've seen issues on user's computers that seemed to be a consequence of migrating libraries that were copied from the supplied Interiorcad libraries, into the User Folder. 

I kind of took it that @Blinkglitter meant copy the Default folders over but not the content, so you ended up with the all the empty folders in your user folder, ready to place your own files in. The same way that the VW user folder is set up. But I guess that would mean copying the folders over then going into them one by one + deleting the content which isn't really going to save any time... The main thing from my point of view was understanding that the interiorcad default folders are not present automatically from the outset like they are with Vectorworks + that you need to bring them in somehow. Not having access to the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command until I dug it out of the workspace editor didn't help 🙂

2 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Yes I agree, I only have custom fittings in the user folder files, no duplicates of the interiorcad library.

Every year having to update and loosing all my custom fittings I have found the quickest way has been to move my previous user folders over and batch convert in place.

Also as far as I'm aware the 'Edit / Adapt Fitting Libraries' only populates the user folder, not the workgroup folder, so if you're using a workgroup folder it has to be done populated manually?

Again, any better methods gratefully received.