Interiorcad beginner questions

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
21 hours ago, Daisy Y said:

@Stephan Moenninghoff I want to use a leg on my cabinets that isn't in the standard library of parts that came with the software. How do I go about adding this? The leg is a Hafele part that comes as a foot shaft and foot plug top.

Links to the parts here: 

https://www.hafele.ie/en/product/plinth-foot-top-section-m10-screw-through-mounting/000000fb0003ab5f00020023/

https://www.hafele.ie/en/product/foot-and-shaft-section-for-adjustable-plinth-feet-plastic/63796331/?MasterSKU=0000001c0001b63f00020023

Will I need to model something up myself to represent these and then add that as a part in my part library? Or is there a place to download this product and upload it into my library?

Hi Daisy, it's easily possible with interiorcad's built-in "Edit / Adapt Fitting Libraries" command. Go to interiorcad and then Fittings:

image.thumb.png.e6769da758c1ec34eb7ecafef5b8931f.png

From the next dialog, you choose feet and mounting plates (and, if required, accessories and / or glides). 

image.thumb.png.a47e92b080def0600cfb53433d93a97f.png 

When you choose each command for the first time, interiorcad will create a new document with a sample fitting. When you save it, it will be placed in your user folder ( /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2021/Libraries/Defaults/Custom Part/Leg Feet/Leg Feet - Custom.vwx) or, if you're on Windows in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2021\Libraries\Defaults\Custom Part\Leg Feet\Leg Feet - Custom.vwx (or Leg Mounting Plates). Edit the sample fitting geometry and replace the sample geometry with your own geometry. Add drillings if required. make sure you don't ungroup anything. Work inside the groups because there are Vectorworks Record Formats attached to the enclosing groups. If you do it like that you'll be fine. If it does not work, which is to be expected, because it never works the first time around, 😁 , upload what you tried here (the documents from your user folder) and I will have a look.

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

@Stephan Moenninghoff Thank you for the previous reply! I'm having another issue, I'm saving symbols within symbols (ie. the symbol of a drawer type within the symbol of a full cabinet) and when I close my program and reopen the file it has converted the symbols (drawers) within the main symbol (cabinet) into a group and so lost its symbol nature and ability to edit symbol capabilities. I'm also getting this error message when opening the file, " Some object connections are broken in the current document" , asking me to repair items. I'm not sure why this message is appearing or if it's anything to do with my symbol-within-symbol issue.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.43.24.png

10 minutes ago, Daisy Y said:

@Stephan Moenninghoff Thank you for the previous reply! I'm having another issue, I'm saving symbols within symbols (ie. the symbol of a drawer type within the symbol of a full cabinet) and when I close my program and reopen the file it has converted the symbols (drawers) within the main symbol (cabinet) into a group and so lost its symbol nature and ability to edit symbol capabilities. I'm also getting this error message when opening the file, " Some object connections are broken in the current document" , asking me to repair items. I'm not sure why this message is appearing or if it's anything to do with my symbol-within-symbol issue.

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 12.43.24.png

That's interesting. I don't think converting drawers into symbols is a good idea, they need to live inside the main symbol as groups/plugin objects. You can attach the file here if you like and I will have someone take a look.

Oh they weren't interiorcad drawers they're custom drawers I have just made from Custom Parts and shapes as I only wanted certain parts to export in the NC export as we will be cutting certain parts on the saw for our dovetail joined drawers and others were employing Hafele TandemBox drawer sides and so we only needed a base and back panel. 

I've attached the file. In it you'll see a collection of cabinets, I was working in the 'Shark 1200 3 drawer' and the  'Shark 1200 2 drawer' when I mainly noticed the problem but I think it happens to all of the symbols. 

Cabinet 3D Library.vwx

1 hour ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

That's interesting. I don't think converting drawers into symbols is a good idea, they need to live inside the main symbol as groups/plugin objects. You can attach the file here if you like and I will have someone take a look.

Oh they weren't interiorcad drawers they're custom drawers I have just made from Custom Parts and shapes as I only wanted certain parts to export in the NC export as we will be cutting certain parts on the saw for our dovetail joined drawers and others were employing Hafele TandemBox drawer sides and so we only needed a base and back panel. 

I've attached the file. In it you'll see a collection of cabinets, I was working in the 'Shark 1200 3 drawer' and the  'Shark 1200 2 drawer' when I mainly noticed the problem but I think it happens to all of the symbols. 

Cabinet 3D Library.vwx56.38 MB · 0 downloads

Cabinet 3D Library.vwx

Is there a way of creating new frame styles for the fronts of cabinet doors? At the moment I am using a standard door and then drawing a custom part 6mm plant on but it isn't parametric so I have to redraw the frame for each different size cabinet? I've attached one example of the style of frame I am wanting to apply to the front of my cabinets. The divisions of the small horizontals would change with taller units to divide equally along the door height. 

Also is there a way around the fact you can't seem to edit a door of a cabinet without deleting the shelves/division first to edit the door and then re-adding the division back in?

Screenshot 2021-03-01 at 15.38.36.png

16 minutes ago, Daisy Y said:

Is there a way of creating new frame styles for the fronts of cabinet doors? At the moment I am using a standard door and then drawing a custom part 6mm plant on but it isn't parametric so I have to redraw the frame for each different size cabinet? I've attached one example of the style of frame I am wanting to apply to the front of my cabinets. The divisions of the small horizontals would change with taller units to divide equally along the door height. 

In short: make a cabinet door and then in the dialog change the door from "Plain" to "Frame". (That is new of interiorcad 2021.)

Also is there a way around the fact you can't seem to edit a door of a cabinet without deleting the shelves/division first to edit the door and then re-adding the division back in?

Again, here too, in short: in the dialog, tab "Division", select one box, then click the symbol with the arrow for expanding the selection, until you have the right selection for the door you want to change.

Check the documentation at: https://conf.extragroup.de/display/IM/Division+Tab if you need more information to were that symbol for expanding the selection is.

Edited by Nicolas Goutte
36 minutes ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

In short: make a cabinet door and then in the dialog change the door from "Plain" to "Frame". (That is new of interiorcad 2021.)

Again, here too, in short: in the dialog, tab "Division", select one box, then click the symbol with the arrow for expanding the selection, until you have the right selection for the door you want to change.

Thanks Nicolas! The first point helps a little, it lets me edit the frame that goes round the outside but it doesn't allow me to create a detail style of door I can apply to different units (ie, with mini sub rails that divide up the door creating a sort of grid look over the door). Perhaps this isn't a possible feature available yet?

Point 2 - you are a lifesaver this is amazing thank you!

2 hours ago, Daisy Y said:

Thanks Nicolas! The first point helps a little, it lets me edit the frame that goes round the outside but it doesn't allow me to create a detail style of door I can apply to different units (ie, with mini sub rails that divide up the door creating a sort of grid look over the door). Perhaps this isn't a possible feature available yet?

Can you show us what you have in mind? Maybe we can integrate it or maybe you can already do it. 

21 hours ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

You can do this even faster by holding the alt key down while clicking the desired box.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I wonder how it is possible to round the edges on the corners of the panels shown in the screenshot below?
The other edges can be rounded superbly with the 3D Tool profile.

In most other software there is always a Fillet Tool that solves these problems, but here it is a little different I guess :P

I am asking for the simplest possible solution, I only need it for the visual part, not for further CNC processing or anything similar.

Any help please...

Fillet_problem.jpg

Not_good.jpg

Good.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 9:25 PM, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

Textures and materials are one entity in interiorcad. Each material has a texture and a thickness assigned to it as well as a 'material type'

I'm testing the demo version of XS, and trying to get my head around InteriorCad "materials".  Are they related in any way to VW "Materials" resources?  Is there a way to coordinate them in terms of reporting, graphics, etc?

On 2/25/2021 at 8:15 AM, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

Hi Daisy, it's easily possible with interiorcad's built-in "Edit / Adapt Fitting Libraries" command. Go to interiorcad and then Fittings:

image.thumb.png.e6769da758c1ec34eb7ecafef5b8931f.png

From the next dialog, you choose feet and mounting plates (and, if required, accessories and / or glides). 

image.thumb.png.a47e92b080def0600cfb53433d93a97f.png 

When you choose each command for the first time, interiorcad will create a new document with a sample fitting. When you save it, it will be placed in your user folder ( /Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2021/Libraries/Defaults/Custom Part/Leg Feet/Leg Feet - Custom.vwx) or, if you're on Windows in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Nemetschek\Vectorworks\2021\Libraries\Defaults\Custom Part\Leg Feet\Leg Feet - Custom.vwx (or Leg Mounting Plates). Edit the sample fitting geometry and replace the sample geometry with your own geometry. Add drillings if required. make sure you don't ungroup anything. Work inside the groups because there are Vectorworks Record Formats attached to the enclosing groups. If you do it like that you'll be fine. If it does not work, which is to be expected, because it never works the first time around, 😁 , upload what you tried here (the documents from your user folder) and I will have a look.

@Stephan Moenninghoff hello I am also testing the demo version of interiorXS. I was looking at how to use my own feet rather than the Hafele/Hettich ones supplied + saw this post. But I do not have the 'Edit/Adapt Fitting Libraries' command in the interior XS menu + I don't have a 'Custom Part' folder in Defaults... Has something changed? Or is this a limitation of the demo version? Or something else...?

I have watched the 11 part tutorial series which is excellent but don't remember seeing anything about feet on it...

Have also consulted the interiorcad manual but nothing there...

Thanks

On 5/27/2023 at 11:22 PM, E|FA said:

I'm testing the demo version of XS, and trying to get my head around InteriorCad "materials".  Are they related in any way to VW "Materials" resources?  Is there a way to coordinate them in terms of reporting, graphics, etc?

I'm trying to understand interiorcad Materials as well. I notice in my demo version of XS that in some instances where it previously said 'Material' it now says 'Board' which makes it a bit clearer. 

I don't think there's any coordination with VW Materials.

What I'm concerned about is that in your third video @Stephan Moenninghoff you say that if you have interiorxs you can't create your own materials so that means I'm restricted to the supplied defaults...??

Screenshot2023-05-31at10_14_55.thumb.png.83fc4f0ba6d4280390762d545aa2b403.png

Or do I create my own Boards/Materials in the 'Details' section + apply them to all the relevant Construction Groups? Do I have to repeat this for each new cabinet? Or save the first cabinet + adapt it for subsequent ones?

What do I do if I want to use a 24mm thick birch plywood board when the thickest offered is 21mm?:

Screenshot2023-05-31at10_39_43.thumb.png.b8f3f38463869f2e25246cf69277952b.png

Do I have to choose a different material but one which is 25mm (+ be happy with the 1mm difference + incongruous name) then override the texture?

Likewise am I restricted to the pre-existing material thicknesses for coverings I want to apply inside + outside? So if I want to apply a 1.3mm thick veneer I can't? I need to settle for 1mm.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction on this!

Am I in the ball park @Kevin K...?

Edited by Tom W.
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I'm trying to understand interiorcad Materials as well. I notice in my demo version of XS that in some instances where it previously said 'Material' it now says 'Board' which makes it a bit clearer. 

I don't think there's any coordination with VW Materials.

What I'm concerned about is that in your third video @Stephan Moenninghoff you say that if you have interiorxs you can't create your own materials so that means I'm restricted to the supplied defaults...??

Screenshot2023-05-31at10_14_55.thumb.png.83fc4f0ba6d4280390762d545aa2b403.png

Or do I create my own Boards/Materials in the 'Details' section + apply them to all the relevant Construction Groups? Do I have to repeat this for each new cabinet? Or save the first cabinet + adapt it for subsequent ones?

What do I do if I want to use a 24mm thick birch plywood board when the thickest offered is 21mm?:

Screenshot2023-05-31at10_39_43.thumb.png.b8f3f38463869f2e25246cf69277952b.png

Do I have to choose a different material but one which is 25mm (+ be happy with the 1mm difference + incongruous name) then override the texture?

Likewise am I restricted to the pre-existing material thicknesses for coverings I want to apply inside + outside? So if I want to apply a 1.3mm thick veneer I can't? I need to settle for 1mm.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction on this!

Am I in the ball park @Kevin K...?

Just a quick update. I'm too tied up with other stuff but I did create a substantial database of UK-specific materials, corner cabinets, as well as appliances such as fridges, cookers, hobs, sinks etc. These will be included in a future release with interiorcad so stay tuned...!

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I don't have a 'Custom Part' folder in Defaults...

Ok I've found it in the Application folder but when I open the 'Leg Feet' folder for example + open up the VWX files they don't have any geometry in them...? I was hoping to duplicate one + replace the geometry with my own. Hmmm... What are the .JSON files??

5 minutes ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

Just a quick update. I'm too tied up with other stuff but I did create a substantial database of UK-specific materials, corner cabinets, as well as appliances such as fridges, cookers, hobs, sinks etc. These will be included in a future release with interiorcad so stay tuned...!

Ok cool but in the meantime, am I correct to say that if for example I want to create some cabinetry that uses a custom board which is 24mm birch plywood faced with 1.3mm Formica ColorCore front + back (= 26.6mm o/a)  I basically can only do that properly if I have the full version InteriorCad rather than InteriorXS?

Thanks

I have a similar question for XS.  Looking to have cabinets cases with 3/4” plywood veneered boards that show plywood fill in section and wood texture in 3d.  I’d also like to have other US standard plywood boards. 

I also like to show solid wood fill on imperial thickness doors. Am I right that using a Solid Wood board for fronts will allow this?

Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Ok I've found it in the Application folder but when I open the 'Leg Feet' folder for example + open up the VWX files they don't have any geometry in them...? I was hoping to duplicate one + replace the geometry with my own. Hmmm... What are the .JSON files??

There is good guidance on how to do this in the interiorcad manual.

http://conf.extragroup.de/im/latest/creating-custom-libraries

When you open up the vectorworks file you need to look in the resource manager and you will see and example fitting. Duplicate that and then you can replace the geometry with your own. Don't worry about the .json files.

Nb I use the full version so don't know the limitations of XS.

• Like 1