Annotation layer is broken

Andrew Pollock

Question

Since the 2019 SP3.1 update I have the beachball with every dimension I add or subtract. Sometime it lasts for a second sometimes a minute. It's rendering the program useless.

I'm running an iMac pro with plenty of free memory and I have restarted the program and the Mac. What is my best next move to remedy this situation?

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

I had a very interesting / concerning episode with annotations in a viewport. System: Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.5, MacBook Pro 15" 2017, internal display only. (No eGPU.) VW Designer 2019 SP4.

Summary: Seemingly random/strange crash, followed by weird SBOD (beachball hangs), eventually seemed to be fixed by temporarily disabling network /WiFi while running VW. Unfortunately cannot reproduce or thoroughly document; sequence of events / attempted fixes too long & complex.

Details: While moving a normal 2D object (just a simple overlay) in the Annotation layer in Top/Plan in a viewport, VW 2019 SP4 abruptly quit (entire app crashed out & disappeared, no hanging or delay.) This object had been added earlier in the day (a few hours) and was working as expected up to that point. (Move / adjust size / opacity / etc.)  Upon re-opening the same doc, the app crashed in the same way. I figured the file itself had been corrupted.

So, I opened a recent auto-created backup of the same file (~15 mins earlier) and got the same behavior. A hard crash. I tried rebooting and chucking out VW cache folders but that made no difference. 

I downloaded & reinstalled VW2019 from VW Service Select. That fixed the hard-crashing problem, but curiously, now these same files worked fine in all of the many (40 or so) sheet layers & viewports in them, but on the "problem" viewport, when I attempted to edit annotations, instead of a hard crash I would get a seeming SBOD (spinning beachball of death) hang.

After poking around on the forums here I tried doing the "Refresh Library" command in the Resource Manager, along with turning off Wifi for a bit, and this seems to have completely fixed the problem. The viewport annotations in question now work as they ought to & there is no more "hanging."