Annotation group error message

That means there's already a drawing label in that Viewport's annotations somewhere. If you're having trouble finding it, it might be assigned to a class that's not currently visible. The tricky thing is the class visibility isn't controlled in the Nav Palette, but rather by exiting Annotations, clicking the Viewport's Classes button, then turning on any invisible classes to find the offending Drawing Label, then going back into Annotations to delete it or change its class, then exiting again and turning off the unwanted classes.

I just experienced this yesterday... it took me a while to realize that I accidentally had a Drawing Label on the "NonPlot" class! Hope this helps 🙂 

• 4 years later...

Go Edit VP Annotation, Select Similar Tool, for Preference for Selection - check only Class and object Type, click on Drawing Label, see how many you have on OIP.

When  more than one, I would Delete all, and create new label again.

Edited by ashot
  • Like 1

I've learned from my ways in the past 4 years. Almost cringe-worthy to see a rookie mistake! 

This might be a thing worth talking about... when you create a viewport, the viewport and the drawing label are assigned to the active class. I wish there was a setting or an option to class these to either "None" or a class of your choosing. If I'm working quick, I often forget to change the class before creating viewports.

12 minutes ago, livespace josha said:

when you create a viewport, the viewport and the drawing label are assigned to the active class. I wish there was a setting or an option to class these to either "None" or a class of your choosing. If I'm working quick, I often forget to change the class before creating viewports.

Hmm I was going to say that in the Plug-in Object Style Options you can specify which class you want the Drawing Label to assign to on insertion but it seems no matter what you set it to when you go back you find it's reverted to '<Active Class>'. This can't be right? Why doesn't it behave like any other object in this respect?

Incidentally, I think viewports are always created in the None class regardless of the active class but you're right about Drawing Labels.

I tried VW2023 + VW2022 + was the same in both... Hmm... 🤔

I should say however that I've never had an instance of a Drawing Label being hidden in a VP because I've inadvertently created it in the wrong class, I'm just intrigued/confused as to why it won't let you set the class for the style!

I may be misunderstanding the problem, but in VW2023, if I right click on the Drawing Label Style in the Resource Manager and choose Plug-in Object Style Options and set the class for the style that class is retained. If I swap between different styles that are set to different classes they insert into the set class.

Two things I can think of.

1. Are you sure you have the correct style of Drawing Label selected in the Create Viewport dialog box? Could you be inserting a different DL than you think?

2. You have corrupted preference file or style. Check the archives for information on troubleshooting ie. move/rename you user folder and restart VW and see if that solves the problem.

Sorry.

6 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I may be misunderstanding the problem, but in VW2023, if I right click on the Drawing Label Style in the Resource Manager and choose Plug-in Object Style Options and set the class for the style that class is retained. If I swap between different styles that are set to different classes they insert into the set class.

Two things I can think of.

1. Are you sure you have the correct style of Drawing Label selected in the Create Viewport dialog box? Could you be inserting a different DL than you think?

2. You have corrupted preference file or style. Check the archives for information on troubleshooting ie. move/rename you user folder and restart VW and see if that solves the problem.

Sorry.

I have tried this with all of my own Drawing Label styles (10+) plus 4 or 5 of the VW ones:

1. Open Plug-in Object Style Options.
  2. Class is set to '<Active Class>': change to None.
  3. Exit Plug-in Object Style Options.
  4. Open Plug-in Object Style Options again: class has reverted to '<Active Class>'.

This is the only time this has happened. All other objects behave as expected. I have never tried to change the class for a Drawing Label before so no idea if it was different before + if so when it changed. I got the same behaviour when I tried in VW2022 so could that still be a corrupt style or preference file..? Will try VW2021 as well + try shutting down VW/Mac. 

1 hour ago, livespace josha said:

ok, played around in 2022....

If I do the "Plug-in Object Styles" route, then it classes as expected. 

I guess my issue was the "out of the box" workflow classes an annotation to the active class, not a generic or pre-defined class. 

I appreciate the help on this! Learn something new every day!

Cool! Glad it works for you! But in the meantime, I've restarted my Mac + tried in VW2021 + for me there's no change: in all cases it's not letting me change the plug-in object class for Drawing Labels! Bizarre! @Pat Stanford if this was a preference file issue would you expect it to be affecting three versions of Vectorworks at the same time??? Does that suggest it started in VW2021 (I can't go back any further) + migrated its way through VW2022 + VW2023? In all honesty it doesn't affect me - the fact it's possibly been the case since 2021 + I haven't noticed being proof of that - so can I just ignore it + carry on regardless? Or should I really go through the resetting preference palaver to try + deal with it in case it evolves into something that does affect me? Thanks!

Ok have been playing around some more + it seems that all is fine if I choose a class other than 'None'. Any other class will stick, it's only 'None' that it doesn't like. But once I've changed it to whatever random class I've chosen + closed the dialog I can open it up again + this time it will let me change it to 'None'! Crazy!