thomnj

Tapered Object

I want to create a tapered, 8 sided 3D object.  What series of commands would I use to do this?

Lots of options. Can you post a sketch or an image of what you want to make?

Lofting got me as shown in under two minutes:

Top and bottom octos, drawn with multi-side tool, Top face sent top proper Z value, nurbs line drawn to connect two vertices as shown, both polys converted to nurbs (ungroup post-nurbing as nec), Loft w/ One Rail Mode (middle Loft choice). Choose ONE poly, doesnt matter which and loft away!

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.18.58 AM.png

Edited by mjm

If you already have the profiles you could also create a "Multi Extrude" from it.

Or Extrude 1 Polygon and Taper it.

Or ....

Revolve with Rail? 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 15.04.14.png

Edited by markdd

Thanks everyone.  I used Nurb surfaces and the Loft command and it worked perfectly.

Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, mjm said:

Lofting got me as shown in under two minutes:

Top and bottom octos, drawn with multi-side tool, Top face sent top proper Z value, nurbs line drawn to connect two vertices as shown, both polys converted to nurbs (ungroup post-nurbing as nec), Loft w/ One Rail Mode (middle Loft choice). Choose ONE poly, doesnt matter which and loft away!

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.18.58 AM.png

^ I would start with the top and bottom profiles as suggested above. Convert to NURBS curves (Command Option N) and Loft using the first mode of the Loft Tool (no rail mode). Click on a corresponding point on each objects, hit enter and the Loft dialog will open. If you check "Create Solid" in the dialog you will get a capped solid object.

(You may have to adjust the "alignment" of the profile objects (eg. each object has a start point and the start points need to align) using the dialog, especially if the profiles are different shapes. The NURBS curves also need to be going in the same direction. You can tell by clicking on a NURBS object and checking the "show direction" checkbox in the OIP.)

Kevin