New Document Units

markdd

Question

7 answers to this question

This happens if you select a Blank File or a Template File that has its units set to Imperial.

With each new version the first thing I do is create a new Default template that has the page size, units and text size that I most use.  I then set that to be my usual New Document choice.

New Documents.png

Whatever the last selection in the dialog box was will be what you will get from that point on.  It is also possible that if you crashed it may have reverted to the Create blank document option.

Try opening a new document and choosing from the list.

Other questions:

- Did this problem start after a Service Pack upgrade?

- Are you in an office situation where someone else may have inadvertently redefined the Default template you use?

Mike.

It doesn't solve the Create Blank Document opening in imperial, but is a good workaround for now. I reset my preferences yesterday after some experimentation with the interactive appearance colours. and there was also a crash yesterday. I updated to the new service pack a while ago now so that seems unrelated.

Many thanks

This should fix it permanently:

- Open a document using the Default template.

- Change the units to metric (file/Document Settings/Units...).

- Make whatever other changes you want to be your basic (Page setup, Design Layer Scale, default text font + size, etc.).

- Save As Template with the name Default.sta (this will save into your User Folder - don't save it to another location).

- Start a new document using File/New...  Choose Default.sta from the template list.

From this point on every document you open will be as per that Default.sta template until you make another selection in the New Document dialog box.  From that point on whatever you selected last will be what is used until you change it again.

@markddHi, Just try what Mike said. Go create new blank document, the file and it will be imperial. change to metric and save a file anywhere and then close. When you open a new blank document it should be metric when you create a new blank one.

If you previously had templates to chose from the path may be deleted so you have to brows to the file and next time they should be there.

HTH

Edited by Alan Woodwell