Web view

Andrew Davies

Question

Hi

Just created a web view from this file https://secure.flair.ltd.uk/dl/MV1c897I1r

Its quite a big big file and I get lots of warnings saying it may fail - lol and behold, it does. 

I believe it will be because the graphic files I used are quite large - any tips on how best to optimise them?  Web view is such a fantastic tool I am keen to get the best out of it. 

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Davies

5 answers to this question

I'm liking WebView more and more - it's quickly becoming an essential part of my workflow. Clients who receive the 3d  viewable files are being blown away by how tangibly the design is being presented. The threshold drop to communicate a design is remarkable. Hats off to VW for bringing this on board. This is what I should have actually been asking for when I was harping on for years wishing for 3d PDFs.

This is only going to get better as the flaws get worked out and improvements to lighting, textures, shadows, rendering navigation, compression get worked out.

Then we add DATA, voice memos, sounds, animations. Now we're really communicating.

I find that the filesize & graphics load is an issue. There are only 3 ways I know to reduce the load: reduce the output Quality, reduce the number of visible layers & classes you're exporting and reduce the level of detail of objects in those layers you're showing. EG. in an arena I might turn off the detailed chairs in favor of representative ones (or none).

• Like 1

Thanks bcd (?!)

I agree with you whole heartedly - it's a great thing - WebView.  EVERY client I have sent one to, has been blown away.  Well done Nemetschek!

Have had some good success with Sketchup just now : https://sketchfab.com/models/a1be9014aae84d5689f1b2b6faac78e8/embed

Password DMN

It has annotations (which work really well) and LOADS (too many?) of options to customise / configure.

Extraordinary what you can do in a browser these days - few years time all software will be web based??!

Andrew

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Andrew Davies said:

Hi

Just created a web view from this file https://secure.flair.ltd.uk/dl/MV1c897I1r

Its quite a big big file and I get lots of warnings saying it may fail - lol and behold, it does. 

I believe it will be because the graphic files I used are quite large - any tips on how best to optimise them?  Web view is such a fantastic tool I am keen to get the best out of it. 

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew, this is a really great question. I wish there was some better documentation for the nuts and bolts of Web View (the documentation for using the Web View command is fine). Right now the different settings for quality seem to affect everything and I've been unable to find any documentation that talks about recommended texture sizes, how it compresses depending on the quality level you select etc. I hope in the future they separate out the geometry quality and the texture image quality. Your model is a good example of why. The model itself looks good when exported at medium quality but the graphics do not. One change I can recommend is changing your figures to NURBS surfaces (trace as a polyline and then convert to a NURBS curve and then again to a NURBS surface). Because they are only silhouettes, if you do this they will maintain their smooth edges regardless of your export quality.

Kevin

Here's an example using a NURBS surface figure exported at Low quality. Note the figure looks good even though the other geometry is facetted and the graphics are pixelated.

593ae0b084241_ScreenShot2017-06-09at10_53_28AM.png.1c91f9383a605d5e95f8c63eb9624ec0.png

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Thanks Kevin

Realise in my second post I wrote Sketchup - whereas I meant Sketchfab (thanks Autocorrect)

Further refined my Sketchfab model here : https://skfb.ly/687X7. (Password DMN). Sketchfab is really impressive - very customisable. 

Good suggestion re the NURBS surface - they are actually image props in the VWX file which I use quite a lot.  Will give that a try over the weekend.

Thanks again

Andrew

Hmmm, I think I may have been mistaken, the quality setting only affects the number of polygons. When I compare the graphics files for the background and my graphic exported in each of the different quality settings they are the same. Try exporting your model locally and you'll see what I mean. It may be possible to up-res just the graphics by replacing them manually in the Web View folder that's generated but then you would have to host it yourself instead of on the NV servers.

Edit: it is entirely possible to up-res the graphics by replacing them directly in the generated Web View folder..... :)

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister