Problem with undulated surface

Hi everyone,

I have this tricky problem, that hopefully someone can help me with…

I’ve designed this undulated surface (see image) and now I want to create a  2D - "template" of the surface area to cut the polygons for a real-world-model (see next image).

So far, the only way I found is to use the "align-plane" tool on each polygon individually, to align them to the layer plane and then arrange them manually, which is pretty time-consuming. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

P.

surface.jpg

grid.jpg

@pollock

Hi, Simplest way I know if you want to gut up the pieces and build a real model is to create a site model and 3D style 3D triangles. (triangle because you can then create the 3D form when you paste them together. Squares wont form a 3D model. Take a snapshot of your model from the OIP and then Explode it (Ctl + K) and tick convert all to sub-objects. Ungroup and you will have all the separate triangle you need to build your model. Hope this is what you were after.

To measure each piece so you can build it use the G key to measure each triangle. As each piece is a 3D poly it will measure the length of a line in 3D which is what yo need, not the x or y dim.

Though I could unfold the surfaces with Model / 3D Powerpack / Unfold Surfaces but to no avail. 

Capture.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Terrain to cardboard model v2016.vwx

Edited by Alan Woodwell

To draw each face you can align the working plane to each face then draw each face in screen plane and print them all off.
Marionette will look at it to see if possible. You need to unfold the object and possible in other programs like 3D Max etc.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
1 hour ago, Alan Woodwell said:

Though I could unfold the surfaces with Model / 3D Powerpack / Unfold Surfaces but to no avail.

I'm not sure if it will work in this instance but its worth a try. The surfaces need to be converted to NURBS first since this is what the command expects as input. It will only work on developable surfaces, which these should be because of their planar nature. I have a hunch it may just pile on the pieces on top of each other though.... the best solution might be to try a demo version of Rhino which has much better tools for this - Unroll Surface and Smash.

KM

Thanks so much for the support, everyone!

I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner, I only have access to VW on a friends’ computer, so it took me a while to try a few things out. I’m afraid I didn't fully understand your suggestions, Allan, as my experience with VW is limited, but I managed to get it done by aligning the triangles to the layer plane, rotating them so all points were at 0-level, and rearranging them… 

Kevin, I tried converting the surface to NURBS, but I still got the following error-message: 

error.jpg

I might have to look into Rhino sometime. Anyway, thanks again,

Cheers,

P.