Heads Up Display Mockup

Hey guys,

I got a request from a colleague the other day to look into how to make a "heads up display" mockup using Vectorworks.

The initial concept is that we would be able to place a variety of 3D models in various "work areas" within the Design layer and move around the space showing different areas, but all the time seeing this HUD. 

Think Iron Man helmet. :-)

My first thought was just place that stuff on the screen plane and then you can rotate around anything thats on the layer plane. Only problem is that the second you Zoom or Pan the "screen plane HUD" doesn't move with the view, you end up zooming & panning the screen plane as well as the objects on the layer plane... 

Does anyone have any experience with this already or have any ideas here?

It's a fascinating question -

short of printing it out on a transparency or etching into plexi what you're asking for is a foreground for your screen rather than a background.

I've never heard of such a thing, what a cool idea, especially if it really did provide contextual, application specific information on the underlying window. Wow!

Unless you absolutely have to stay in VW, I would consider looking into Unreal Engine. If you're adept at the 3d element of VW, it's really not that difficult to spend a few hours with some Unreal tutorials and then be able populate a first person Unreal template with a VW model via DWG export (of course that's just getting your feet wet). Then there's a plethora of tutorials for gaming hud/ui elements or plugins like HAL Archviz: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/hal-archviz-toolkit-v1