Better Object Info Palette

Thomas Wagensommerer

Question

Maybe you could consider making the 3 sections of the object info palette scrolling after each other. First "Shape" then "Data" then "Render", separated by divider lines. For simple objects, nothing is hidden, you would see everything at a glance. If there is more, you would have the option to scroll down. There would still be the tab buttons at the top. Clicking one of those would scroll to the corresponding section.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Yes, unless... you're working with objects and attached records having quite a few fields and need to be able to see the properties of both. I run into that quite a bit when doing GIS stuff and would rather have two tabs side by side than having to scroll up and down all the time. (or the OIP with the Data tab detached in this case)

For simple objects with limited parameters/records your solution works fine, so that is why I asked JimW to attach your request to the one of the detachable tabs as it is not a case of one or the other but they can easily be combined (I hope) so that the default is what you are asking while still having the option to detach a tab from the OIP .

There are many times in the project that I find myself flicking between the main tab of OIP and the other tabs for example debugging renders being able to see class setting and render settings at same time instead of flicking between to tabs. I think Records would be used more if not so obscured. Also playing with Marionette It would seem very easy to get OIP's with screens of setting and even less control than what Plug-in objects have to control presentation.

A better way to present all this information with user control over what we want to focus on would be very helpful.