Stairs

This is fun. So I have a "U" shaped stair with one riser on the landing so actually two landings. How do I fool VW into creating this stair? I tried U-stair double landings, but it expects more than on riser between landings. Will not accept 1.

The U-stair, single fixed winder return would be ideal if you could eliminate the angle winder but of course you cannot. So I think I have to do a single stair straights run for one section and an L stair, single landing. ?

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Hi,

I have simply drawn the selected the U configuration from the select standard configuration the U shade stair and it starts off with a number of tread in the middle set of stairs between the 2 landings then I put 0 treads in that section and I get the attached image.

Hope this helps.

Alan, that is exactly the configuration I wanted.

Zoomer, I think you are right there isn't enough room for 1 tread because it tries to use the input tread dimension (10" in this case).

So I tried the U-stair double landing. The geometry tab will not allow my length for side 2 nor allow less than 2 for number of risers 2:

I have a total of 17 risers, 8 each run plus one at the landing. Floor to floor of 10' 7-7/8", 10" treads. 40" wide stair and landing.

Side 1 & 3 are 9'2", side 2 is 6'11-1/2"

Alan, which stair configuration did you use?

Thanks much.

Edited by jmartinarch

Hi,

its the custom stair. the new 2015 VW stair tool does not have some of the earlier tool sets controls. God only knows why.

You to go to the utility menu / building shell and select the custom stair tool and bring it over. This was the old version as I understand.

There are a lot of tool in here that are not in your normal pallet and 2 that are handy are the extruded polygon and rectangle.

Good luck.

• Love 1

You don't actually have to "bring it over" It's already there.

Many "legacy" tools are are living in semi retirement in the workspace editor.

Tools > Workspaces > Workspaces … Duplicate your current workspace > Edit the copy -just to be safe.

Go to the Tool Tab

On the left side open the triangle for All Tools Open the palette on the right where you'd like it to be and drag it in.

hth

mk

• Like 1
Wow, so what else is hiding?

You can look through the old tools and activate what looks interesting for you.

I tried that once too.

I often found things that looked nice but don't work with my architecture license

or tools where I found that it's quite ok that they are hidden by default ;)

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

In fact I highly recommend that you DO bring the "old" stair back into your workspace - it "breaks up" much nicer resulting in extrudes that can then be manipulated much easier than the mesh objects created by the "new" stair - among other things...

Wes