Mirror reflection

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Which rendering mode are you currently using? To get light and reflection to keep bouncing like that (which would take a significant amount of time to render) you'd probably want to use custom renderworks and turn up the Max Reflections value near the bottom. I think it defaults to only 2-4.

Depending upon what kinds of light you are trying to reflect, you may need to increase the number of indirect lighting bounces in Lighting options as well.

Are you trying to see visible light from a light source? This is not possible. However, you can get some reasonable results by creating an object to represent the light source and coating it with a Renderworks Texture that has Glow reflectivity. This object will be reflected in a mirrored surface.

Hi,

I tried seeing the light reflected on the round object on the top.

I created a small sphere that has glow reflectivity in front of the bottom mirror. The mirror will reflect this object, but the next mirror doesn't reflect the reflection of the first one.

I also increased the indirect lighting bounces to 100.

Maybe I have to change some specificatin in the mirror texture?

Getting emitted light to bounce is another matter all together, but if the goal is to get geometry to reflect;

I created a texture with a mirror reflectivity of 99% (100 wont work as that would reflect so much light that the object wouldnt be visible) and in custom renderworks set Max Reflections to 5 and I do see the expected levels of reflection in the mirrored surfaces in a quick example file:

Edited by JimW

Light objects are not visible, in order to see something you would have to use the Glow texture which also requires Indirect Lighting to be on. If you make a sphere with Glow located near your spot light then turn on Indirect Lighting you will see the sphere reflecting in the periscope thingo.

this is my second try...I cant get to see light reflected on the round element..

THAT you unfortunately can not do yet (to the best of my knowledge) in Renderworks.

I had tried something similar where I attempted to recreate an optics table and was not able to get spot lights to bounce in the same way a laser beam will in real life:

[img:center]http://i.imgur.com/Tw0l05I.jpg[/img]

Edited by JimW