If Vectorscript is for everyone....

Kevin McAllister

Question

then the online reference really needs some love. Even finding the basics for setting preferences is not easy. The list is far from complete and out of date in many areas (stacked layers are still called stacked layers, a search for unified view turns up nothing).

Someone asked a simple question in the forum about toggling on Draw Edges in the OpenGL preferences and I couldn't for the life of me find any information in the developer resources....

Kevin

11 answers to this question

I've never liked the vectorscript-ing notion. I love that developers can use it to write 3d party plugins (shout out to Matt at Panzercad) but there should be some middle ground where the OfficeJoe can put together a bunch of scripts for the office to help keep the workflow smooth. Things like your toggle openGL, or setting a lineweight, basically the ability to write macros.

Like Photoshop and it's actionscript.

Throw in the archaic worksheets in VW as well. The worksheet window is seriously the most scary looking window in VW, save for the scripting window. Why can't we have a much slicker, easier to understand interface? If worksheets were easier to use, they would be a HUGE selling point for VW.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for the shout out Grant. :-)

I'd guess that making vectorscript simpler and easier to use, would also make it more limited. It would be very cool to have some type of macro recorder. Maybe a more constrained and easier to use subset of vectorscript to be created? Then, if the user needed more, they could convert it into "full vectorscript" for more control and flexibility. Just thinking...

I'm bumping this wish.

I posted a question in the Vectorscript forum last week which has gone unanswered. Its been viewed over 220 times so clearly there's forum traffic. I have no idea where to find out the info I need now. If it's not in the VS script function reference and not available asking in the forum I'm not sure what other options there are.

Having scripting that's only useable by a small group of users is a waste of resources in my opinion. Either make it more accessible or put those resources into other priorities.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Agreed. I haven't yet delved into Vectorscript personally and these issues were a major reason why.

However, while this is something we need, it doesn't fit into the normal wishlist submission system due to its complexity. I'll contact a few people and see how to go about this.

Agreed. I'm all in favor of having professionals do heavy scripting work for me. But when I see someone asking in general discussion how to toggle a VW preference via script....that's a sign of poor implementation. I have a set of scripts for such tasks and honestly I have no idea how they work, it's beyond my ability to comprehend.

Most people are looking for two things in scripting:

macro style "actions" akin to photoshop's.

toggling preferences/attributes or selecting tools/menus via a key command.

Implement these two things and 90% of the users would be overjoyed.

I'm bumping this wish.

I posted a question in the Vectorscript forum last week which has gone unanswered. Its been viewed over 220 times so clearly there's forum traffic. I have no idea where to find out the info I need now. If it's not in the VS script function reference and not available asking in the forum I'm not sure what other options there are.

Having scripting that's only useable by a small group of users is a waste of resources in my opinion. Either make it more accessible or put those resources into other priorities.

Kevin

Hi, have you subscribed to the mailing list yet? You'll get much faster answers through there, as many developer aren't always on this forum.

I'm bumping this wish.

No one wants to be the bearer of bad news ;-)

Can't do it directly, so no one told you anything. It may be possible using a combination of Applescript and Vectorscript.

Pat