Restore After Crash

Tom Klaber

Question

It would be great if after a crash - VW would restore all files open from the latest backups. It is sometimes a pain to try and remember everything you had open - go and find the back-up and then do a save as.

If VW reopened with all the back-ups - you would only lose the time between the crash and the last back-up rather than the additional 8 min it takes to track down all the files, and you would be more sure to catch everything.

8 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I agree it would be a good addition, however I must say that it is unlikely anything like this could occur soon, the very act of Vectorworks crashing breaks the components needed to alter how the next reboot of Vectorworks will occur.

You've probably seen similar problems if you've changed Vectorworks Preference options, then not restarted the application and had a crash, it will be right back to the settings it was before the crash, as they aren't saved until Vectorworks is closed.

This is different than Document Preferences, which do save when the file itself is saved, but unfortunately document preferences wouldn't be able to dictate to Vectorworks which files it should open.

I am not saying this isn't a good idea, just that the way things are arranged now, it would likely be far off. (Also the whole logic of "make Vectorworks not crash in the first place." instead ;) )

Either way, submitting now!

VW just needs to be smarter as AndiACD says. Many other applications are able to do this.

VW already has a helper app if you're running VW Cloud Services. If VW and VW Cloud Services communicated with each other I wouldn't think implementing this would be too hard.

Or if it had a drawing management server like some other BIM software uses for co-ordinating teams, then something other than VW itself would know what was open at any one time.....

The preference thing is just annoying. I'm surprised it doesn't save preferences when you exit them after editing. But I guess some of the preferences are scattered about instead of being centralized.

KM