Always in Front / Always on Top

VincentCuclair

Question

I would like to have an added function in the 'Send to....' command menu:

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8612&filename=Always%20on%20Top.png

'Always on Top' or 'Always in Front'

In many situations I have used the 'Send to Front' command however at a later stage it has been necessary to change objects that are 'behind' the object in question (in some cases as a large selected group of objects), with the result that the edited objects have ended up on top, without my knowledge. This is a recipe for error. Some objects (e.g. text) simply need to be on top all the time regardless.

Edited by Vincent C

15 answers to this question

i was advised by local support staff to avoid Grouping due to several knock on effects which caused problems with editing and placing of Symbols.

Can't remember exactly what any more, but i was happy to solve the glitch and stopped Grouping as a result.

So the suggestion's still valid for me.

You can use a group for that.

What do you mean Dieter?

1. A group always stays on top once you have used the Send to Front command!?

or

2. Create a group because that is easier to 'Send to Front' once it ends up below because one has made changes?

The second one. But an options for stuff that needs to stay on top would be fine. We would then have a splitted stacking order: Two "Groups", one for the normal stacking order and one for the elements always on top. In each group, you have a stacking order between their own elements. This would complicate things as all items need to have a parameter in the oip for it to get feedback on where the element resides and other stuff.....

In the meantime, you can create a new layer above the current layer, or above all layers, and place objects there that NEED to be on top. With a script you can toggle that layer on and off as needed. Place the script into a Menu Plugin, assign a hot key to it, and you try not to get pulled over by the Edit Police. I do this in reverse with a grid and label layer that resides on the bottom of the view order that I toggle its visibility as needed.

If you want this feature for multiple layers, a script can detect what layer is currently active and toggle the visibility of its complementary layer. Saved Views can also be used to turn on layer pairs that need this functionality.

It's not a bad idea, but it's all doable right now; or you can wait for the feature to get implemented.

Raymond