Using tape measure tool in elevation

JulieK

I would like to measure a building height in elevation, however when I drag the cursor between the two points that I want to measure, it seems to be picking up something else because the measurements are way off. How can I get it to measure between the two points that I want it to?

This is a good basis for the wish list item for VWA. As far as I can remember I've never wanted to measure the distance between the lines that make up a Viewport. I want to measure the building!

The measuring tape should understand that my licence is for Vectorworks Architect and default to real-world dimensions based on the Viewport's scale.

I would like to measure a building height in elevation, however when I drag the cursor between the two points that I want to measure, it seems to be picking up something else because the measurements are way off. How can I get it to measure between the two points that I want it to?

This was suggested before, but just to confirm, are you trying to measure off of a viewport of an elevation on a sheet layer? If so, you will need to enter the Annotations to do so.

Sheet layers are always at a 1:1 scale. Each viewport has its own scale.

If you dimension or use the tape measure tool on the sheet layer you will get the real world distances between the drawing objects on the sheet. If you do this inside the Annotations, you should get the correctly scaled dimensions.

I typically pull a dimension using the shortcut N or M

this way it's clear if the measurement is referencing the correct plane & it also allows Copy in the OIP.

An enhanced tape-measure tool which provides for recording the measurements to the clipboard or to an enhanced clipboard would be great.

I believe something like this already has been written by a 3rd party developer.