VW- to c4d

grant_PD

Is there a real guide for exporting files to c4d? I'm getting weird behavior when I make the transitions. So far I've discovered:

-Lights in symbols get put in a lights null group, with no association.

-Symbols are not imported as children if they are mirrored across planes.

-Groups always have their null objects placed at the origin upon entry to the C4d-verse.

-There is some magic to making the textures come over. I say magic because today for no reason that I can discover half of my textures came over and the other half didn't. Even after I saved the project I had to manually import. Plus, shader textures made by VW don't come over.

I've looked in the manual for VW and there is very little. If it's somewhere can someone please point me to it. While I love the renders of C4D and I love how VW can translate over to it, I want/wish that the process was less opaque.

• 2 months later...

Hi Grant,

Have you had any success on this - particularly

"-There is some magic to making the textures come over. I say magic because today for no reason that I can discover half of my textures came over and the other half didn't. Even after I saved the project I had to manually import. Plus, shader textures made by VW don't come over."

I've noticed that Send to C4D the textures transfer but using the Export to C4D they don't, not good for collaborating with a C4D user who doesn't have Renderworks.

Two weeks ago Nemetschek hosted a webinar titled "Vectorworks, Renderworks and CINEMA 4D Visualize: Collaborative Tools for Architectural Presentations" that may provide some guidance.

Here is a link to download the webinar video (caution as it is a large Quicktime movie file) Vectorworks-and-CINEMA-4D-for-Architectural-Presentations.mov

The webinar was hosted by Nemetschek's Steve Alden AIA who said that he was a long-time C4D user just getting started with Vectorworks. Maybe you could try emailing him directly since he sounds like he is one of NNA's resident C4D experts, and he did invite users to email him with questions (his email address is provided near the end of the video).

I thought it was actually an informative how-to webinar, and not just the usual Vw sales pitch.

HTH

Yes, I watched the Webinar it was very nicely presented.

There was no reference though to importing materials - other than glass which came in with the file and whose shader was editable in C4D

I have noticed that when using Export to C4D the shader image gets lost but can be relinked. I think herein lies one of the main issues and its solution until it gets fixed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

With C4D export a "tex" folder will be created in the same location as the .c4d file.

With Send To C4D the scene is a temporary file, and you should use "File->Save Project with Assets" to save the .c4d file and tex folder together where you want them.

Only textures that are in use are exported. Are all the textures you are expecting to see actually being used in the rendering?